Seem to have got myself muddled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seem to have got myself muddled

OK, please can someone untangle this for me - it is probably really easy but my pregnant brain just can't cope with it.

1833 - Baptism of Eliza Hinson, St Michaels, Bishops Stortford dau of Elias Hinson
    1841 census Eliza Hinson b.1833 Bishops Stortford living with Elias (Occ Blacksmith) and Johannah Hinson
    1851 census Eliza Hinson b.1831 Bishops Stortford House Servant.
    1861 census - Missing
    28 November 1861 Eliza Hinson M George Wise - father listed as William Hinson Blacksmith
    1871 census Eliza Wise b.1834 Bishops Stortford.

Now I have looked and cannot find another Eliza (or variant) Hinson anywhere.
    I can't find a William Hinson - Blacksmith either.

So what am I doing wrong.
    Either there are 2 Eliza Hinsons - possible, maybe cousins
    Or vicar wrote William on marriage cert instead of Elias, This info I have from the PR copy of the cert. both bride and groom signed as did 2 witnesses (siblings of bride)

Or am I just confusing myself??????????
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

What was George Wise's father's name? Perhaps the vicar got confused or perhaps for some reason Elias was known as William. From all the Census entries it certainly looks as if you are following the right person.
    Emeltee

Comment

Or perhaps Elias was his 'known by' name and his real one was William?
      Or perhaps its one of those certificate errors?
      Maybe he was known as Bill (not wanting to ba called Elias ) and the vicar assumed it was William?

Do the siblings of the bride (witnesses) match up with those you expect?

If you can't find any other candidates for the people I would take it as one of the above suggestions, I think.

Anne

Comment

I have sent you a pm re. Elias' death, Vikki.

(Ignore the blue question mark - I hit it by mistake!)
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Vikki, further to my pm here is Elias' death:

Elias HINSON
          Bishops Stortford 6 313
          Jul/Aug/Sep 1842
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thanks, Sorry got side tracked

Georges father was George - Did wonder about confusion, i've had it before

Yes the witnesses match up with siblings for Eliza daughter of Elias
            I hadn't thought of the possibility that he was known as William (or Bill)

Thanks Elizabeth, got the PM's

I think I will have to assume clerical error as there do not appear to be any other candidates, but I will make a note in my files

Thanks everyone
            Vikki -
            Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Working...
            X