Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading some old handwriting mark II

Hi,

In a 1780’s deed (from the colonies) there are a couple of words I’m having difficulty decrypting..

In Word1a.png:

“of Buckhorn Including the land & plantation where the said Griffin now lives (????)”

What’s in the ()?

“Begining at a black oak the 2nd corner of 320 acres ?????? ???????? by David Mimms & from him convyd (conveyed) to said Griffin then”

and what are the two words following “320 acres”?

In Word1b.png the word following “320 acres” is repeated again

“being part of sa(said) 320 acres ????? then on Hayes line a SoEt(South East) corner to the corner of”

In Word1c.png following “being part of” is the word following “320 acres” above repeated again.

“320 acre tract then on that line ?? (North?) to the Begining it being part of a ????? that said Griffin bought off Elkins containing 67 acres”

Any help is very much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Phred
    Attached Files

First one looks like (Viz)

"Latin, A contraction of the term videlicet, to wit, namely, or that is to say.] A term used to highlight or make more specific something previously indicated only in general terms."
    Viz.: West's Encyclopedia of American Law (Full Article) from Answers.com.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

In the first extract it looks to me like the words are "survey patented" and the word Survey again in extracts two and three

Linda
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

It looks like 'survey' to me too but I can't get it to make sense in context.

It could, alternatively, be a local word or name for the area of land being described.

Anne

Comment

"survey presented by" referring to a survey and mapping exercise

Comment

Ooohhh, well done. It was a tricky one!
            Anne

Comment

it looks to me like the words are "survey patented"
              I believe that you have solved the mystery! Armed with “survey patented” -

The short story is the original deed was a grant that was surveyed – hence the term “survey patented”. The longer story:

I’ve discovered that state granted deeds were referred to as “patent” deeds. “Patent: a grant of privilege, property or authority made by a government or sovereign of a country to one or more individuals. The patentee is the person receiving the patent.”

David Mimms was Granted the original deed over the property – a patent deed.

The original deed to David Mimms appears to be a “survey” instead of a traditional “metes and bounds” deed. That is, the property is described using North forty chains, then East 80 chains, then south 40 chains, etc. Metes and bounds deeds describe property in reference to neighboring property owner’s bounds/lines that the property in question “metes” or is “bounded” by. “Survey: A measured plan and description of a piece of property.”

So when Joseph sells the property he bought from Mimms it is described as “320 acres survey patented by David Mimms & from him conveyed to said Griffin”.

Thanks to all for your help! Isn't reading and interpreting old handwriting fun!

Phred

Comment

Working...
              X