Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of Who Do We Think You Are 17th September is .................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Winner of Who Do We Think You Are 17th September is .................

lisajj

Well done Lisa, I hope you get a few brick walls knocked down:smilee:
    Barbara

Well done LIsa hope you get some brilliant help dear and loads of bricks knocked down ;;
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Congratulations Lisa, I hope you find some interesting things.

Comment

Woo hoo!
        I'll get my details together and then post my "issues"
        Lisa :-)

Comment

oooooooooooohhhhhhhhh you in Bedduth :smilee:
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes, us lot in Bedduth are quite interesting! OK, I know you've been waiting for my brick walls to appear, but since I won this months WDYTYA work has gone bonkers and I didn't finish work til midnight last night! I've been busy today but should be able to get everything together and on here tonight at some point.
            Cheers
            Lisa

Comment

OK, I have two brick walls. The first one is as follows:

Edward Whitebread Holtaway
              He married Jemima Drane on 14 September 1886 at St Anns Church, Tottenham. On the certificate he states his full name as Edward Whitebread Holtaway,age 27, he was a clerk living at 20 Suffield Road and his father was William Holtaway, a traveller. The witnesses were George Whitebread, Francis Drane, W Holtaway and ? Garner.
              He had 4 children, Amy, Leonard, Nora Bessie & William. He appears on the 1891 census with Jemima living at Heathlands, Carlyle Road, East Ham. It gives his place of birth as Islington and age 32. He appears on the 1901 census (Edw Holtaway) living in Carlyle Road, East Ham age 42, place of birth Islington, working as a Hay Salesman (traveller). In 1911 I found his wife and two children, but not him so far. I found his death in 1927. But where was he before he was married? I found an entry in the 1861 census for an Edward Whitebread born approx 1859 in Islington. He is a visitor. Along with a George Whitebread (this name also appears on his marriage certificate as a witness). They are staying in Great Baddow, Essex with Thomas and Eleanor Whitebread who are in there 60's. Are they the boys grandparents? Thomas and Eleanor (Elner) both appear on the 1851 census with two daughter, Elner & Lucy. I have found Lucy on later census' and she stays single. Not sure about Elner/Eleanor. So, is this the same Edward Whitebread Holtaway? Where did the Holtaway come from? And who were his parents? I can't find a marriage between a Whitebread and a Holtaway. I can't find a birth for Edward either. I did send off for a certificate for an Edward Whitebread born in 1857 Jan-Mar, but when it arrived I looked him up on later census' and found him married to Caroline with parents Frederick & Elizabeth Whitbread.

Second one
              William Harold Dawson
              William married Rose Mary Facer at Rugby registry office on 27 May 1941. On the certificate it says he was 33 years old, a lorry driver living in Rugby, and his father was William Harold Dawson deceased a garage proprietor. The witnesses were P R Lathem and E V Blades. He died on 21 September 1959 in Whitley Hospital Coventry aged 52. So I make his birth to have been 1907/8. He had several children, Barry, Brian, Peter, Anthony, Maxine, Ann, Shelia, Valerie.... But I can't find him before his marriage! I have no idea where he was born. After he died, his wife never spoke of him again, and the children know hardly anything about their father. Between them they have come up with 5 different places where he was born, and none of them are anywhere near each other! I was also told that he ran away from home at 15 and changed his surname from James to Dawson. So I looked for a William Harold James. But then he would have lied about his fathers name. Also, two of the children remember visiting their Granddad Bill in the early 1950's (so was his father actually dead when William married Rose?). They said that their grandparents lived on a small farm in Whitchurch, Shropshire. The electoral rolls for the 1950's show William and Lizzie James and Lucy James living on a small farm called Roundthorn. Also, the children remember Aunty Margaret and Uncle Jeff, and they assume that Jeff was Williams brother. I have no evidence to back this up and Jeff could have been a nextdoor neighbour or it could have been Margaret who was related. Where was William born and when? Was his name really Dawson or was it James? Was his father really also called William Harold Dawson? His children are now in their 60's. There are lots of births for the names William Dawson and William James over 1907/8 and I can't afford to send off for all the birth certificates!

These are the two things that are bugging me the most. I think all the other problems I have will basically be solved by trawling through parish records!
              Any light shed on either of these problems would be great. I went to WDYTYA live in Feb and spoke to one of the experts about the second problem and he couldn't help me! I also talked to Nick Barratt about it briefly and he said that it sounded like I'd covered everything too. I am hoping that either you can help or that one of the children all of a sudden remember something.

Here's hoping
              Lisa

Comment

In the 1871 census, at Portland Villa, near Wellington Rd Marylebone, is Edward R? Holloway, scholar, 12y, his father William B Holloway, 29, dealer in athletic sports goods, and his father Wiliam C Holloway, 70 yrs, commericial Tr, who I would look at more closely.
                ref: Class: RG10; Piece: 186; Folio: 65; Page: 40

Freebmd shows a death for William Edward Holtaway in Dec Q 1875, Pancras district.

i would look closely at any HOLLOWAY who might fit your description as Holtaway could easily be mis-heard or written or transcribed wrongly.

Di
                Diane
                Sydney Australia
                Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

In the 1841 Thos Whitbread, 47, wheelwright, lives with Matilda, 45, and several children Sarah, Alfred, William, Louisa and Matilda (twins, it says) and the youngest Lucy (transcribed as Lacey).

So this story get more complicated. I would guess that George Whitebread (Whitbread) and Edward Whitebread Holtaway (Holloway) are cousins. As you cannot find Edward anywhere, I would trace this family forward, as much as possible through the census and freebmd, even just to elminate them as possibilities. Its always possible that the enumerator wrongly recorded Edward's surname in 1861, just assuming it was the same as his grandparents. Stranger mistakes were recorded by the enumerators.

Di
                  Diane
                  Sydney Australia
                  Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Do you know if William Dawson/James served in WW11?
                    Does the death cert give his exact date of birth? this might help to narrow down the possible birth records.
                    Have you looked at the 1911 census for the James family in Shropshire to see if they have a son aged 3 years?
                    Margaret

Comment

Another thought.
                      Have you looked for the death of William H James/Dawson between 1908 and 1941? I know it will be a long slog through the images if you do it now but you could wait until ancestry have them transcribed.
                      Margaret

Comment

Holtaway/Holloway - sounds like you've used the same process as me, I had also found William B Holloway and William C Holloway, but I wanted to see if anyone else also went the same route! It is complicated!

William Dawson/James - I have found several possible candidates on the 1911 but I can't afford to look at them all yet! One of the things I started doing was finding all the births from 1907/8 and then try and find their deaths, but its still left me with a long list! His death cert just gives his age.

Comment

Here's one on the 1911 I looked at: RG14PN18528 RG78PN1110 RD390 SD1 ED18 SN43
                          DAWSON, WILLIAM H, HEAD, MARRIED, M, age 42, NAVAL PENSIONER ELECTRICIAN, Born NEWCASTLE WICKLOW IRELAND
                          DAWSON, MARY KATE, WIFE, MARRIED 11years, F, age 35, born GALWAY IRELAND
                          DAWSON, WILLIAM H, SON, M, age 3, born COVENTRY, WARWICKSHIRE
                          DAWSON,KATHLEEN, DAUGHTER, F, age 1, COVENTRY, WARWICKSHIRE
                          Margaret

Comment

Working...
                          X