Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree Maker and XP/Vista query

Hi,
    I recently got a new computer with Vista on it.
    The old one was XP. I had FTM 10 on the old computer, and I've just read that it is not compatible with Vista.
    I will have to buy a new version of FTM.
    Where is the best and cheapest place to buy a new FTM?

Also, and this is a big question - would my old details from
    FTM 10 be able to transfer easily onto the new version of FTM?

Thanks,
    Jan

Are you sure theres not a patch you can download from there site for it ;;
    2006 didnt work with vista but they brought out a patch for it ;;I would have thought 10 would have worked with vista
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Hi Babs,
      Don't think there is a patch for it - I looked on the site they told me to, and this is part of what they said:-

>>Also, there is no update for users of FTM 11 or earlier, as support for these versions has been discontinued. We have not tested functionality in earlier versions of Family Tree Maker, and we regret that we do not have the resources to do so. Because there is no Windows Vista compatibility update for Family Tree Maker 11 and earlier, we recommend that you purchase the latest version of Family Tree Maker if you plan on using Family Tree Maker on a computer with Windows Vista. >>

Is a patch the same as an update? Or am I getting confused?

Jan

Comment

What are they going to do for Windows 7 I wonder?? I am happy to stick with FTM 2006. If I ever buy a new machine it'll no doubt be Windows 7 as that's out for folks to upgrade to next month and I see some netbooks already have it.

Do you think FTM might do a patch if we all jumped up and down and made a big fuss?

Comment

Wow Jan I think thats very bad of them and here they are offering a newer version now or upgrades ;;;doesnt make sense at all ;;;there is a very new version just out at mo carnt tell you what its called as Im on laptop at mo but there is a thread about the upgrade;;

Comment

In all fairness FTM version 10 is a pretty old version of the program - at least 5 or 6 years old and probably designed to work with Windows 95 operating system.

Anything from the 2005 version or later will work with Vista.
            There should be no problem transferring your data between the two versions of the program.
            Elaine

Comment

The new version is 2010 on big comp for min ;;

Comment

Thanks Elaine and Babs,
                I've decided to go and buy a new version of FTM.
                I'll have to decide which version to buy, 2009 or 2010. I'll have another read on this forum to see if I can see what other people think of those two versions.

Comment

Well few of us have been sent e-mails asking if we want toi upgrade from 2009 to 2010 still trying to decide yet ;;;

Comment

This is what they say about the 2010

Tell a fuller, richer story with new tools and charts
                    Enjoy better performance, faster loading and navigation
                    Publish beautiful family books made from your tree
                    Quickly find precisely the right information using standard source templates
                    Easily organise photos and other media and add scanned images directly into your tree
                    View your relationship to everyone in your tree with the 'New Person View' feature
                    Simple, powerful integration with Ancestry.co.uk™ resources

Comment

Hmm, maybe I should wait then, to hear reports from you and other people if you decide to upgrade to 2010. With each upgrade do they change the layout and way things work with the programmes? I get used to things and don't really like change!

Comment

Thanks Babs for the writeup about the 2010.
                        It certainly sounds a lot better than my 10 version - -but wonder if its easy to learn how to do everything on it!! How easy is 2009 to understand?

Comment

Well fairly straightforward but there's loads on here use 2009 so if you get into any problems just ask babe ;;

Comment

Thanks Babs - you've helped me to make my mind up - I'm going to go for 2009 version. I'll go and buy it in the next few days.

Comment

Ok babe good luck and flick around web see if you can get it cheap more so if the new ones out soon ;;;

Comment

Will do Babs - thanks.

Comment

Have you tried running it in compatibility mode?
                                  Many older programs will run on Vista in compatibility mode.
                                  Cheers
                                  Guy
                                  Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Jan - just so you are aware, the 2008/2009/2010 versions have a totally different layout compared to FTM2006 and before.

If you are going to upgrade to one of the newer versions then I see no reason not to go straight to 2010, rather than going for 2009. Just make sure you don't buy 2008 as it was lacking in certain facilities that we were all used to from the earlier versions of the program.

There is a thread on Research you might like to look at - MalcolmES has upgraded to 2010 and feels that it was worth it (see post #9)

As to where to buy it, there are various places you can order online - I always use TWR Computing as their prices include worldwide postage and their service is excellent. The cost of their Family Tree Maker 2010 UK Edition 1CD Upgrade pack is £19.90 - and according to the email I have received from them this includes a one month subscription to Ancestry. However, they don't seem to mention this on their web page so it might be worth checking with them. If you already have a sub to Ancestry you can just add the freebie on to the end of your current subscription.
                                    TWR Computing
                                    Elaine

Comment

Hi Guy and Elaine,
                                      Thanks for your suggestion Guy, but after reading Elaine's advice, I have just ordered a new one online.

Elaine - Thanks for bringing the old thread up about the 2010 version.
                                      After reading that, and your comments about it, I agree with you that I might as well just go for the 2010 version. So I have just been on the phone to TWR Computing and ordered one. Can't wait for it to come now!
                                      Thanks everyone for your help.

Jan

Comment

Working...
                                      X