Scottish census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish census

On the 1851 Scotland Census, Ann Spence b. 1794 in Dunnet Caithness is listed as the mother of a 1-month infant daughter. I feel that this is probably incorrect - the child's mother is listed as Ann, and the maidservant of 17 is also an Ann.

I had a look on Scotlandspeople index for the census, but they say there is no listing for Ann Spence in Dunnet in the 1851.

Any ideas anyone- do you think the child is the maids - would she have been allowed it at work?

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Hi Linda,
    What I find strange is that Ann b 1794 is listed as mother instead of head.
    No I can't understand this either, also she is a bit old to be a mum at 57.
    mmmm this needs more investigation - do you have any more info?
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I thought she was a widow, but just found hubby and 3 kids at home (John Spence b.1784 Dunnet). They did have a daughter Anne, but she was born in 1824, so would be too old to be the maid. Ann Spence was an Innkeeper throughout her life, if that helps in any way!

Still searching!

Linda
      Linda

Comment

There is an Ann Spence age 57 in the 1851 census living in Olrig - EDIT on Scotlands People
        Dunnet is the birthplace on Ancestry with Olrig the place of census.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Looking on google maps, it would appear that Ann wasn't in Dunnet that night but around the bay just outside Castletown. I'm wondering if she was visiting a daughter or son that night, maybe doing a spot of babysitting?

Linda
          Linda

Comment

Hi Linda - do you have a maiden name for Ann Spence bc 1794?
            herky

Comment

born Ann Manson 5 Jan 1793 in Dunnet, parents William Manson and Helen Taylor.
              Linda

Comment

Been looking through Anns children and at the moment none springs to view as being the parent of a newborn. Interesting though they seem as a family to occupy most of the businesses in Dunnet - they were the innkeeper, merchants, postmaster, draper, grocer and schoolmasters. Must have kept them busy.
                Linda

Comment

HI

Had spare credits and found the corresponding ref

Barbara Knox doctors wife 23 bn Dunnet Caithness
                  Jessie Knox sister in law unmarried 25 bn East Lothian
                  Ann Spence 57 Mother bn Dunnet
                  Infant 1mth bn daughter to Barbara
                  Ann Sandison house Servant

according the the 1861 census her husband is called George

whole host of Knox children waiting for you on the 1861 Scottish census
                  WendyP

Comment

Wendy, thanks very much - I just found out that Barbara had married a George Knox, but couldnot find them in 1851. Wonder why they were missed off on Ancestry? Well at least we now know that Ann wasn't an elderly mother!

Off now to update my tree.

Linda
                    Linda

Comment

Working...
                    X