Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not as complicated as it sounds (I hope)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not as complicated as it sounds (I hope)

Hi all.
    I've had loads of fun and a fair few late nights/early mornings searching for family members both on my side and my hubby's. I have to say the help and advice avalable here has been brilliant.

I've traced my paternal grandmothers family back methodiacally through the cenus' (I am learning :smilee to 1891.

I have James Bingham married to Agnes ? James' est birth 1833 Sheffield Yorks, Agnes est birth 1846 Agrshire (Ayrshire?)

They have 4 children Alexandra (Alexander?) 1873, James 1874, Francis (my g grandad) 1879 all born in Agrshire (Ayrshire) and Elizabeth 1882 St Helens.

I presume that James and Agnes married in Ag/yrshire as the oldest 3 children are born there.

My question is, how do I find out when they married, the oldest children's and therefore my g grandad's birth records? I've tried ancestry freebmd and gave up on the sites aying I could access Scottish records as i couldn't follow them!

If anyone can tell me where and how I can search to get the info I'd be grateful

Many thanks in advance
    Di
    xx
    (PS do I put too much info on my posts, I'd hate to think I was boring anyone or being a nuisance)

try scotland's people for scottish records. you have to sign up and buy credits, but once you do it's all good. they are the only ones that have the scottish census images 1841-1901, the scottish bmd's from 1855 onwards, and the parish records 1538-1855.

with the census it is suggested you look first on ancestry, and then find the images on scotland's people. everything is downloadable within seconds. if your after records after 1911 i believe it's best to order them, as i think they have a 100 year closure rule on certain documents.

most of the scottish baptisms and marriages are on the igi, so dont forget to look there before on scotlandspeople. also, remember, when you get back to parish records, only church of scotland records are available on scotlandspeople.
    they dont have non cons or other christian records. also remember death records before 1855 are almost non existant, so dont be surprised if you cant find you rellies.

scottish certs are extremely detailed, more than english ones, but theyre parish records are less detailed than the certs. the further back you get, the more cryptic the records will be!

sorry, if you already know some of this! someone better at scots research will come along later, and be more helpful!

Comment

James Bingham weds Agnes Sim 9th Dec 1873 at Dundonald,Ayrshire.
      James Bingham(son) born 27 July 1874 Kilmaurs,Ayrshire.
      Francis Bingham baptised 23Apr 1880 Parr,Lancashire.
      There is another daughter Agnes,born 1876 Ayrshire, she is in service on 1891 and 1901 Census.
      Francis is shown as Frances on 1881 at Parr!
      Regards Tony

PS. Alexander baptised 9 July 1872 to Agnes Sim,no father mentioned.
      Last edited by Tony Cummings; 17-09-09, 11:39.

Comment

(PS do I put too much info on my posts, I'd hate to think I was boring anyone or being a nuisance)

No, what you put is fine. Anyone with time to help you needs lots of info, specially dates and places, siblings and parents. It all helps to build a picture and saves constantly coming back to ask you and then waiting for the reply.

As you are finding, Scotland is completely different but in some ways much better than England - wish I had some Scottish ancestors :F

Great news about your death certificate and newspaper report of the inquest! (in your other post) Well done.

Anne

Comment

Thanks a million once again. I'm trying to get my head around how many credits to buy from where! I'll get ther though lol. (even if I do end up asking you wonderful people a few thousand questions!)

Thanks again
          Di
          xxx

Comment

ScotlandsPeople is very straightforward but you need to be very logical in your searching. You buy credits in lumps of 30, costing £6 plus whatever currency exchange fees your bank adds on.

Once you have found the best match for a page of results (up to 25 per page) you pay one credit to view the page. It then costs 5 credits to view the actual image of the register page or census return. The only downside is that you have to supply surnames.

Searching the index of wills is free and can be very rewarding. The index will usually give you the date of death, the spouse's name, the person's occupation and place of residence. It will also tell you what the document is and how many pages there are. You then have to decide whether it's worth £5 (not covered by credits) to view/download the document.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
            X