Have I found them at last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I found them at last?

Opinions please. I've been searching for years for the marriage of my 4xgt grandparents HUGH and KETURAH DANIELS who were having children baptised at Rotherhithe,Surrey from 1800 to 1819. I know lots about them after they married but not when and where they married nor what Keturah's maiden name was. Now I've found this in the new LMA records on Ancestry:

St Mary at Lambeth 6th January 1793. HUGH DANIELS married CATHERINE HUGHES.

Is this them? The name Keturah was used for several following generations in the family and I know from censuses and from a contact whose grandmother was one of these Keturahs that the name was abbreviated to Kate. Could it have been misrecorded at the marriage? My Hugh Daniels was Welsh and Hughes is a Welsh surname isn't it? There is a KATURAH HUGH born in Wales within about 10 years of my Keturah on the IGI although it isn't a proper batch number and the birth date says "about".She was the daughter of Hugh and Elizabeth. Elizabeth was used by my couple for their daughter. OH says I'm clutching at straws and I'm afraid he might be right....

Ann
    ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
    Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Well, I can certainly see a case for some cloth-eared Vicar recording Keturah (said in a lilting welsh voice) as Catherine!

But....where are the children born between 1793 and 1800? This could be a first, childless marriage, and Keturah could be a second "wife".

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      Well, I can certainly see a case for some cloth-eared Vicar recording Keturah (said in a lilting welsh voice) as Catherine!

But....where are the children born between 1793 and 1800? This could be a first, childless marriage, and Keturah could be a second "wife".

OC
      Yes, I'd thought of that OC. The problem is that baptisms and burials on the new records only begin in 1813 (unlike marriages which begin in 1754) so I can't check any births from 1793 to 1800 nor for a burial for Catherine. The IGI doesn't have any baptisms for parents Hugh and Catherine in Greater London either. As for mishearing...suppose they told the vicar her name was Kate and he assumed Catherine as the full version? As OH says,I'm clutching at any straw I can get hold of here!

Ann
      ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
      Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Working...
      X