Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How on earth do I

find out who this child is?

Margaret A ? born c1885 Lower/Lewes? Broughton, (Preston, Lancs.)?

RG12; Piece: 3447; Folio 187; Page 79; GSU roll: 6098557.

It says she's the daughter of Frank and Annie Norman who married on 21 May 1891 (which is after this census).

I haven't been able to find a birth for her in either the Norman or Bresland surnames nor on any other census.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by JBee; 16-09-09, 18:31. Reason: Place of birth

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Have you tried looking for just the surname?
    She may have been registered as female, or Ann or Anne or Annie or Anna or Hannah.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell

Just had to double-check - but no female Norman births and all the Bresland births are boys.

Nearest was Margaret Alice born in Mkt Harborough Leics but found her on subsequent census - so that wasn't her.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

maybe the child of a relative, as there were no formal adoptions then. My Grandma brought up my aunts son as her own

Comment

If Frank and Annie were telling fibbies about being married in early 1891, could Margaret have been born in Ireland ? I cannot see Annie in the 1881 census, so maybe she did not leave Ireland until the late 1880s.....

The new familysearch pilot site is showing a few Margaret Bresland's birth registrations for the 1880s. No details though.

Di
          Diane
          Sydney Australia
          Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

My problem is I'm not sure I'm on the right track.

I am certain that Annie Andrews nee Norman b c1859 county Fermanagh is the mother of James Andrews born 1901 in Burnley.

However I can't find a marriage for a James Andrews (he's living with his widowed father in 1891) and Annie Norman supposedly (according to 1911 census) around c1895.

Now in 1891 there is a marriage between Frank Norman b1861 Oadby Lincs and Annie Bresland b Ireland c1859 according to 1891 census - the date and country of birth seem to match Annie Andrews so could it be the same person?.

I can't find the couple in 1901 but Frank appears to be living as Frank Ashby with wife Sarah and her children and they've a son Frank in 1897 (later revealed as Frank Norman in 1911 census). Frank Norman senior marries Sarah Ashby in 1906 and dies in 1908. On both marriage certificates his father is Elisha. Can't think that two Frank Normans born c1861 in the same area have the same father Elisha.

I had hoped finding this Margaret A ? might solve a mystery but I cannot find her birth which according to the 1891 census was in Lower Broughton in c1885. Could Annie have been married before Frank? That is if I'm not barking up the wrong tree!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X