Ancestry v Find my Past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry v Find my Past

I think I've done a silly thing. I cancelled my membership with Ancestry last night and signed up for 12 months with FmP, which is much cheaper.
    Ancestry have chopped me off so quickly I can hardly believe it and I now find that in comparison FmP is very slow and nowhere near as good. I am struggling to find any results from the 1901 census for my lot at Dent and I am pulling my hair out.
    Now of course my Family Tree Maker doesn't work either. Obviously you get what you pay for.
    Do I swallow my pride and creep back to Ancestry ?
    Ken. ;)

Staveley, Richardson, Maunder, Stewart.

I know we all moan about ancestry.. BUT I find that FMP is difficult to navigate, and tbh I'd rather be able to do my lookups inthe one stop shop, I know that FMP has some stuff and find the 1911 wonderful (but I think i'd rather PPV for that and still have all the comforts of Ancestry)

so long and short of it, yes, I'd go back :smilee:
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

FMP is great as a back up and will probably be very useful at times, but I think you still have to take out a seperate sub for the 1911.
      Wouldn't be without Ancestry though!

Comment

Very interesting as I was thinking of changing over. FMP have sent me a couple of discounted offers so I thought I would maybe go with them when the time came. On reading this think I shall probably stick with Ancestry . Do you think they will ever include 1911 census on FMP subscritpion, or does anyone know if and when Ancestry will have it.

Comment

You may want to read this thread. It had slipped down the page so you may not have seen it
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks very much for the info, just what I was looking for very interesting
            Lynda

Comment

Also thanks from me for this thread - I woke up musing about whether to let my Ancestry go, it runs out in a few days, and go over to FMP.

I've decided to stick with Ancestry after reading this thread. I've done my direct line on the 1911 and I can wait patiently for the less important ones...probably till 2012 unless I can be bothered to go to a "free" venue.

OC

Comment

the last newsletter I had from LostCousins recommended that people should go over to FMP instead of using Ancestry!

Cant comment on the speed of seearching as I don't use it much, but I think the Ancestry search options are more flexible. yes I know we moan about it, and some of their mistranscriptions are just ridiculous, but I prefer to stick with what I've learned rather than start again elsewhere. And if you watch out for their special offers, Ancestry isn't that expensive.

In the meantime, save up your queries & then sign up for a 2 week freebie.
                Vicky

Comment

I do think that it all depends on what you want from FMP and Ancestry.

At present I do have subs for both, and each one is offering something different. I am enjoying the London Records through Ancestry, courtesy of LMA, although I live near enough to LMA to be able to go and do the work on a personal level, but doubt I would have found the marriages through LMA that I have now found on Ancestry. At present it is a bit hit and miss as there is no proper index, which I understand will be available later in the year so I am finding most by chance. Ancestry is also good for soldiers First W War records. They also have all the Census except 1911, which you have to pay for seperately. If you have no London records or First W War soldiers then unless you have worldwide as I have at present there is not a lot else of use to you. The Irish records they have are already online for free and of little use to anyone. Their parish records are equally of little use.

FMP now have all the census available except 1851, which will be complete soon and the 1911 Census will be available on the Explorer Subscription Package at an increased rate from late October 09. I use FMP more for the census as I find FMP easier and more accurate than Ancestry. FMP also has many parish records and wills, though this will depend which parishes you are into. I just happen to be heavily into Northants and as FMP have many Northants Records, it suits me. I also use the Overseas Index quite a lot so that is another plus for FMP. FMP also has the Emmigration lists though Ancestry has the Immigration lists which are not much use to me as my folk are from the UK travelling elsewhere but if your folk are elsewhere travelling to the UK then ancestry will be better for you.

So all in all each person will have to decide what they want from each subscription package. I might keep both going for a while as I have soldiers' records but may eventually just have FMP.

As this question crops up time and time again, maybe its time somebody wrote an impartial feature on the pros and cons of FMP and Ancestry for the Wikki, which could be updated as new features are put on. This way people can then look at the pros and cons and make their own minds up. It is not a straight yes for Ancestry, no for FMP or vice versa. Some of the genealogy magazines rate FMP above Ancestry though the genealogist is rated as the best for all the census as being the most accurate.
                  Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 17-09-09, 12:48.

Comment

Your FTM should still work it just wont do the web search or might but wont let you view the page online ;;;
                    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

At he moment I have both - and they both have their points. I prefer the "exactness" of FMP on the searching and responses -although I detest having to remember not to press the back button to get back to results. They do have less problems with transcriptions and they are usually the first place I go as I feel they are more accurate and easier to search although the results are not as easy to see. Ancestry may have access to more records but I do not find them easy to find at times - and it bores me to tears to keep reminding it that I only want results from English and Australian records!! I shall stick with FMP (especially with the 1911 records) and debate things when Ancestry is due!
                      There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

I also have both. I prefer FMP as a site; plus its ability to search the censuses via addresses is useful, and they have the Docklands Ancestors transcriptions.

On the other hand I find the Ancestry site really confusing (perhaps it's just me :conf: looking at anything but the census I always seem to get lost) -on the other hand they now have the LMA records.

Really it depends a lot on what records you're after.

Comment

It does seem to be what records you are looking for, I again belong to both Ancestry & FMP, but on saying that....for BMD and census records I find "Root uk" has the easiest search (just by name) and a different results format to the other two.
                          The down side is that is pay per view and not a subscription.

It's really down to the records you want to cover.

Steve.
                          Steve.
                          Researching;Fitzjohn:Crouch:Parker:Howlett ;)

Comment

Well I've gone back to Ancestry so for a year I will have both as I can't get out of FmP and get my money back. I suppose I find Ancestry better is because I've been with them fo 3 years now so have got used to it.
                            Ken. ;)

Staveley, Richardson, Maunder, Stewart.

Comment

Working...
                            X