Bit of a silly question i know....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of a silly question i know....

is there anyway we can find out where our Ancestors were buried.....

Most family history societies have books of monumental inscriptions but this will only be of use if there is a readable headstone.
    Local authorities should hold cemetery records for the cemeteries they are responsible for.
    Another tip is to look for death notices in local newspaper archives. Often there will be a clue as to where the deceased was to be buried. Either that or newspaper obituaries are often full of useful information.
    Two of my great aunts had wonderful obits - listed all the chief mourners and their title (eg daughter, niece etc) this gave me a whole new list of names as it gave me the womens married names.
    Good luck and no this is not a silly question - I am sure more of the members will have better answers than mine.:smilee:
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Redacted
      Last edited by Penelope; 16-09-09, 14:59.

Comment

you could buy the NBI (national burial index) its about £40 but it isnt complete. Some places like Leicestershire are very sparse, but LRFHS do a Leics and Rutland burial index which I have found invaluable.

and its NOT a silly question
        Last edited by Darksecretz; 16-09-09, 16:44.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Some graveyards have burial plans which show the locations of the graves, and they are probably at the relevant county records office. Cemeteries always have plot numbers.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I think the majority of mine won't have any gravestones and are probably in public plots.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks for the replys

Umm i think mine would have had no money for headstones etc....so public plots are ???

Comment

Public plots or common burial ground was reserved within graveyards and cemeteries for the very poor who could not pay for their own burial lair.
                Even though someone is buried in a public plot there should be a record, especially if it is not too early, of where the common plot is. My gg grandmother and other relatives are in a common plot within a cemetery and this area will be marked on the cemetery plan which the local authority holds. She was in a public plot probably for one of two reasons - no money or because she died of smallpox and they would have probably have wanted to do a quick burial.
                I have many other relatives who have no stones but the lair is on the cemetery records and I know exactly where to find them. In fact I have only just recently erected a small stone to mark the resting place of a close relative. To do this you have to get permission from close family and the local council who administer the cemetery.
                herky
                Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Is there anywhere, online, that I can find out what areas/places the national burial index covers?

I would like to at least know if I have a chance of finding what I want before I decide to purchase anything.

Comment

Search Parish Records Collection 1538 - 2005

findmypast has the NBI online.

It is what has been moved from Family History Online: http://www.familyhistoryonline.net/database/index.shtml.

Between the two, you can work out which counties/areas are covered.
                    Last edited by Caroline; 17-09-09, 08:44.
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks Caroline :Big Grin:

Comment

I thought that none of my mothers side of the family would have headstones but going to where they lived in the local church yard there were many for her family and her great grand parents had 12 children I found nearly all their graves. Her grandmother and although her own mother moved to Surrey she has a grave and head stone.

I thought that they would not have had the money but it just goes to show.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by John-Nihon View Post
                          Is there anywhere, online, that I can find out what areas/places the national burial index covers?

I would like to at least know if I have a chance of finding what I want before I decide to purchase anything.
                          have a look here John :Wink:

FFHS - Projects - NBI coverage
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                          X