Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Newspaper Confesion - 1793

Hi,

I have just recieved a document from the LMA, which tells me that John Maberly, Currior of St Martin in the Fields, Middlesex, has droped his case against James Tatham, Andrew Johnson, John Barker and Richard Ovens for a conspiracy to rase the price of worked leather. This is dated 9th April 1793.

In the document, John says he has droped his case because the accoused have had 'acknowledments and confesions (have been) inserted in several of the publick news-papers'

Does anyone have any idea which papers these may have been? Could an entry be in the times, and if so, could anyone have a quick look for me?

I believe that James Tatham may be my ancester, although I know nothing exept his name, which was taken from his son's christening at St Martin in the Fields. His son was also a Currior, so I think it is likley to be him, but the document does not give an address to follow up. Does any one have any tips on tracing London ancesters? Mine tend to come from the midlands, and James is the first I have attempted to trace in the capital.

Thanks,
    Tippin
    Families Intrested in
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Nothing in The Times for any of those names I'm afraid.

Comment

Working...
    X