No announcement yet.

Have you seen GR's "mapping" function?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you seen GR's "mapping" function?

As I'm quite interested in maps and OH is a veritable mapaholic, I thought I'd have a quick look when the update appeared in my inbox...

I am intrigued to find my four Wiltshire tree-members are shown has having been born near the coast towards Whitehaven (about level with Middlesbrough). :conf:

My three clearly-labelled Sussex tree-members are firmly pinned to the NW of Leeds (the Yorkshire one). :conf:

A Farnboro', Warwicks, ancestor has been pinned to Hampshire - the Hampshire Farnborough. In the same way, my Alton Staffs, ancestor has been grouped with my Alton, Hants, ones in Hampshire.

You can re-plot these, but it is rather inept!

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 15-09-09, 18:23.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Oh, gawd, Hot Maps!

OC

Comment

I had an email about the new mapping button from GR today so I went in to have a look and like yours my ancestors are all in the wrong counties.

Nice idea but someone over there seems to have a problem with geography it's a similar problem as the one we have with the hot matches - same name - same birth year but with a different birth place.
      Kathleen

Comment

I've just spotted Charles LANCASTER, b Kensington, London - easily found just to the east of the centre of Liverpool! :D

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Oh I must have struck lucky they only placed few of mine and they were in right place , mind its easy to use and replot , I think its good , makes a change them doing something good ;;
          borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

I was a bit disappointed that you have to unplot and replot - or I did. You can't just drag the plot to the right place - which would be useful if it's not too far away.

The feedback button doesn't work, either, on Firefox - or not for me. I'll have a try on Camino (It does work on Camino).

Also - there's a little warning at the top... If you upload or download a GedCom, you'll lose all the plots!

Christine
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 15-09-09, 22:23.

Comment

I've got all my East London people living in Cheshire, so not great!
              Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Mine are 90 % right the only error is that Guernsey,Channel Islands appears in mid Kent.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                  Oh, gawd, Hot Maps!

OC
                  I don't think I dare go and look at mine.

Comment

Perhaps Ancestry are doing it for them - their geographical knowledge of the British Isles is decidedly strange, to say the least !

Comment

It's about time someone checked their geography. I use maps alot to find out hope people move and their relationship to their family. Also great for tracking down folk who give different birth places. I have n't looked at Genes yet although I had an invite. I'll reserve judgement.

Comment

I sent them the feedback and got quite a sane reply (compared with the usual).
                        I have passed the details of this issue to our technical team to look at and investigate.
                        Having said that, it does have something of the air of an auto reply - but at least it's a sensible one.

Christine

Comment

I sent them feed back tonight as when I went into maps all the ones I moved yesterday and replotted where un plotted so hadnt saved , bit mad isnt it ;;;

Comment

Originally posted by borobabs View Post
                            I sent them feed back tonight as when I went into maps all the ones I moved yesterday and replotted where un plotted so hadnt saved , bit mad isnt it ;;;
                            Had you uploaded or downloaded a GedCom since? They do warn that that's enough to unstick the plots. I went into mine just now, and it's fine - the re-plots are all still there.

Christine

Comment

Nope only have skeletong tree on there with my johnsons lol

Comment

Perhaps it depends which browser you're using.

Christine

Comment

Im using vista and IE

Comment

Just looked at this new feature and my relatives also appear to be living in the wrong area. Why does this happen does anyone know????

Comment

Oh well had e-mail back from feed back and they want to know what browser etc I was using and what I did etc ;;;so looks like taking mine serious thank heavens

Comment

Working...
                                      X