1901 census check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1901 census check

Can anyone find Arthur and Alice Carlo on the 1901 census please. Alice was born in 1874 in Headington Oxford, and Arthur in 1872 in St Saviours, London. They married in Headington in 1894, but I cannot find any trace of them afterwards.

There is an Arthur and Alice Carlo in Colchester, but that is not them.

Thanks

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

I have found alice in 1911! She is a widower and working as a housekeeper at 72 Hugh's Street, St George Hanover Square, London.
    Tessie

Comment

However, I can't see a death for Arthur on FreeBMD, although I know its not complete.
      Tessie

Comment

Thanks Tessie, I hadn't got around to checking the 1911 - wonder where they got to in 1901. Will go for a peek at the 1911 now.

Linda
        Linda

Comment

Just to add to the mystery I have checked the GRO Death Index and cannot find a death for an Arthur Carlo between 1895 and 1911. Well I can find one but the age is given as 0 so I presume he was under the age of 1. I wonder what happened to your Arthur. Did he die or did he walk out on Alice and she called herself a widow to hide the fact?
          Sorry to have been rather negative and not very helpful at all.
          Emeltee

Comment

I've done some back checking on Arthur and it would appear that he and his brother William were at one time in the workhouse together, father was a bricklayer. In 1901 William is listed as a soldier. I wonder whether Arthur could have become a soldier too - possibly in the Boer War? Is there a database on Ancestry for Boer War casualties - I can't see one at the moment.

Linda
            Linda

Comment

I finally found Alice in 1901 - she is already a widow and is living in Colchester with her children, her sister and niece.She was transcribed as Alice Carls. Her eldest son Arthur is living with his paternal grandparents, and her youngest daughter Beatrice, is with her maternal grandparents. One of her daughters was born in Ireland, and as there is no entry in BMD for the next child (Beatrice) or for Arthurs death, I'm wondering if they were also in Ireland for those events.

Has anyone any idea if it is possible to check for BMD's in Ireland, when you have no real information, just the word "Ireland". At least Carlo is not too common a name!

Linda
              Linda

Comment

Irish BMD's are on the familysearch.org pilot site - it shows Elizabeth Carlo as registered in the Apr/Jun qtr of 1897 in Dubllin South

Cheers
                Sue

Comment

Interestingly on the GRO REGIMENTAL BIRTH INDICES on FMP there are births recorded in Dublin for 3 Carlo children - the records are odd though

Louisa J was recorded with 2 references in 1893 under the 6th Regiment of Foot (Royal Warwickshire Reg) and once in 1894 under 43rd Regiment of Foot (which I think was Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry by then)
                  Arthur was recorded with 3 references in 1895 - twice under the 6th and once under the 43rd
                  Elizabeth was likewise recorded with 3 references in1897 - twice under the 6th and once under the 43rd

Beatrice was registered twice in 1898 - under Atherstone (Warwickshire) and the 6th Regiment

Apart from possibly the adminstrative staff of the regiments wanting "to be sure, to be sure" I'm really not sure what the significance of the extra entries and the 2 regiments were I'm afraid

The Army may well have taken them to Colchester too - it was a major army garrison town

Cheers
                  Sue

Comment

Ooh, thanks Sue - hadn't thought of that site. That's fantastic.

Linda
                    Linda

Comment

Sue, just saw your second post - it definitely sounds as though Arthur was in the army - presumably the 6th/43rd Regiment (I only have 1911 census on findmypast so hadn't found that info) Alice was originally from Oxfordshire, Louisa Jane was born pre marriage, and originally registered in Oxford under the name Louisa Jane Hiles. I wonder if they would have any records of Arthurs death - I'll have a look see if I can find out more about the military side.

Thanks again.

Linda
                      Linda

Comment

This looks to be Beatrice's civil birth registration - in Dec qtr 1898
                        Carlo Beatrice Atherstone 6d 472

Cheers
                        Sue

Comment

Thanks Sue - again. I had seen that one, but couldn't work out why they would have been in Atherstone, especially as the censuses say that she was born in Oxford. So if Beatrice was born in England, and their last child William John was born in Colchester on 1900, I wonder if Arthur would have died in Colchester then? I will try a trawl of Colchester deaths for a year before Williams birth - see if that helps. Presumably serving military who die are also entered on the normal BMD's?

You've been great.

Linda
                          Linda

Comment

Glad to have helped Linda - Arthur does seem to be pretty elusive - certainly if he died in England/Wales he should be recorded in the "normal" references - but he certainly doesn't jump out. The Royal Warwickshire Reg had troops in South Africa from 1899 but a quick search doesn't seem to bring him up as a casualty

FMP may be missing general regimental indices for 1900-1905 - they don't seem to appear in a quick search - so that might be worth checking out - and I guess Scotland too

Hope you can get to the bottom of it

Cheers
                            Sue

Comment

Thanks for all your help Sue - I did check all of Colchester deaths, but none seemed to fit the bill for Arthur. What you have found has been great tho, filled in a lot of gaps.

Cheers,
                              Linda
                              Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X