Mother missing from Baptism PR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother missing from Baptism PR

I am confused as to why the mother's name would be missing from a baptism entry.

I have Walter Hewins(sometimes Ewins/Uwins) marrying his 2nd wife Ellen Powell in Dec Quarter 1866 Ledbury district.

In 1871 census they are living in Kings Green, Redmarley with sons William,3, and Alfred,1. (On Ancestry the family are transcribed as HENSON and William is missing from transcription although included on census image.)

I have looked at microfiche of Redmarley Bap and entry for 28 Sep 1867 is as follows.
    William, parents Walter Uwins, Redmarley, Labourer.
    Privately baptised Sep 28th. Admitted Nov 3rd.
    There is no mention of mother at all.

I have followed the wife Ellen through the census and know that she is still alive in 1911 although her husband Walter died in 1877.

I am just curious to see if anyone can shed any light onto why she was not included. There are mothers' names included on previous and subsequent entries on the page.

Many Thanks,
    Helen in Glos

I suspect they sometimes left things to fill in later and forgot - or, as happened with a couple of mine, the woman is from a neighbouring parish and presumably not a great church attender, so the vicar/parish clerk forgets their name and leaves a blank, or just omits it. Could be that she didn't attend the baptism if she was ill after giving birth?

Comment

I have a whole family from a village in Yorkshire where the mother's name is not mentioned on any of the baptisms. The only reason I know what it was is because I found a rellie on the internet who had some family papers.

Basically the woman was not considered important.:F

Comment

Thank you both. I suspect that the mother may have been ill as, although I may be wrong, the initial private baptism suggests to me that the baby might have looked like they might not have pulled through.
        Helen in Glos

Comment

Working...
        X