One for the costume/uniform gallery after a clean-up please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One for the costume/uniform gallery after a clean-up please

This is my Grandad again, probably about 1901. He was born in 1887, so would be about 13, I guess. On the 1901 census he was a 'Messenger for a firm of Law Stationers', so I'm thinking this might be his uniform - unless anyone can advise me differently? There are a few scratches on it, and I'd be very grateful if someone could give it a clean please (in sepia) - then perhaps it might be a suitable candidates for one of the FTF galleries :smilee:
    Joy

Joy, it looks more like the pill box and belt of the BB to me.

don

Comment

Here you are Joy..........

Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

Wow Jen, that's brilliant! Thank you so much! :smilee:

Don, thanks for the advice - I take it that BB is Boys Brigade? I don't know if he was in the Boys Brigade, but he came from a very staunch Methodist family - and didn't the BB have a religious slant to it? I've had a very quick look at BB uniforms for that period, and it does look remarkably like it. Thanks very much. :smilee:
        Joy

Comment

sorry Joy I should have said Boys Brigade in my original post. As a point of interest the photographer, Robert Armitage, was trading from 112 between the years of 1896 to 1907.

don

Comment

Thanks again Don. That fits in nicely with my estimate of the date the photo was taken. :smilee:
            Joy

Comment

Here are some more ...

One done in greyscale so you can compare.

It looks like the background/painting he's stood infront of portrays him walking along a forest path.

Joy017.jpg Joy018.jpg Joy019.jpg Joy021.jpg Joy022.jpg
              Last edited by Guest; 16-09-09, 04:06.

Comment

That's wonderful John, how you've brought out the background........if only my eyes didn't let me down so much. I think they look so good.

See you got a raggedy edged one, don't you think they add age and authenticity to the image?
                Jen

Comment

I think it's been a mixture of luck, struggling and getting in a bit more practice with Joy's pictures Jen. Believe me, I have made attempts on others and failed quite miserably. The borders do add a bit more character I think. I do have quite a few frames to choose from but still really want that crinkly one of yours. :Big Grin:

Comment

It's on the elements 7 program John, what do you use?
                    Jen

Comment

Paint Shop. Don't think I will be buying another package for a while though.

Comment

My one

Niksmum

Comment

I would never have been able to tell by looking at the original that Grandad was walking along a forest path! They are amazing - thank you very much indeed. :smilee:
                          Joy

Comment

Are there anymore photos that you'd like us to have a go at Joy? Obviously no guarantees as to the outcome. :Big Grin:

Comment

I do have more - I am very lucky to have inherited a veritable wealth of old photos, and I am so grateful to all you wonderful restorers for all your help. :smilee: I have just posted another one.
                              Joy

Comment

Working...
                              X