Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridget Carroll - Stone, Staffs

Good Morning All,

Bridget Carroll was the second wife of John McGann, but what was her maiden name?

Bridget was born in Galway, Ireland and is recorded as a widow in the 1871 Census, living in Chapel St, Stone with children Thomas (1856), Edward (1860) & Mary(1866). Another son Patrick(1858) appears in the 1881 census.

She appears with John McGann and her children at Old St, Stone in 1881 to 1901 and widowed again in the 1911 census, still at Old St. with unmarried daughter Mary.

Exhaustive searches of the 1861 Census fails to find Bridget with her sons, Thomas, Patrick or Edward.

An extensive trawl through BMD marriage records produces 2 possible Bridget marriages in Staffordshire at about the right time ; Bridget Higgins & Bridget Fitzparick, each to a James Carroll. However, she might well have married in Ireland prior to her arrival in England.

Possible deaths of Carrolls in the period 1855 to 1871 are equally inconclusive.

A further puzzle relates to the marriage registration of Bridget's marriage to the McGann. The BMD Index records that Bridget Carroll married Patrick, not John, McGann in Stone in Q3/1872. Patrick could of course have been his middle name. However, having already found recording errors for BMD registrations in other Stone records, I suspect it was a simple mistake by the registrar. Maybe he thought all Irish men were called Patrick!

Any suggestions as to how to track down Bridget's first husband or her maiden name would be gratefully received. The McGann/Carroll marriage megistration might give her maiden name but it is not a certainty.

Regards,

John Bennett

were any children borne to this marriage? that should give any previous names?

i'd go for that cert or have a look at the pr's to see if at least the address tallies up with old st.

I know it doesn't indirectly help, but it might be a decider if it is actually her marriage or not.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

On LDS I can see a John McGann, Birth 1835, Ireland and a marriage, spouse Mrs Bridget McGann, abt 1855, Ireland.

Clicking on Bridget gets birth 1838, Ireland.

Family:
      James McGann, birth 1856, Ireland
      Micheal McGann, birth 1860, Ireland
      Barney McGann, birth 1862, England
      Mary McGann, birth 1866, Massachusetts

Not found a maiden name yet though.
      Last edited by Guest; 15-09-09, 13:13.

Comment

Bridget Carroll - Maiden Name

Thank you Julie & John for your comments.

Unsurprisingly, I haven't found any offspring of the McGann/Carroll marriage. He had 7 by his 1st wife and was in his mid-40's when he married Bridget. She was in her 40's also with 4 grown up kids by then.

Obviously, her children's birth registration should give the father's name but the lady for whom I am doing this search is reluctant to purchase yet more certs. for a second marriage.

Bridget's 1st husband was a Carroll not a McGann. Her 2nd marriage was to John McGann in Staffordshire in 1872. John's 1st wife was Catherine Brennan whom he married in Roscommon in 1853.

Regards,

John Bennett

Comment

Working...
        X