Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bertha Glasson

Hi

This is a long shot but I'm hoping someone might be able to help me. Bertha Glasson (born 1883) is my great grandmother we know that she had an illegitimate son that was brought up by her parents. I'm trying to find a birth certificate for him. Not sure if I can post his name because there's a small chance that he could still be alive as we think he might've been born in 1909.

I've found him with the family on the 1911 census age 2. All the family were from Newlyn, Cornwall and then moved between 1891 and 1901 to Gillingham Kent. Bertha's son is down as being born in Cornwall even though they were living in Kent at the time. I ordered what I thought was his birth certificate but it turns out it's not him. Not sure where to go from here. Bertha was in St Katherines convent Fulham in 1901 not sure why she was in there but the convent is to do with prison rescue work. It was originally thought that Bertha could've been in the convent because of being pregnant but the dates don't tally up with the 1911 census and I still can't find any births for that time either.

Joan Palmer very kindly looked at the LMA for me to see if there was any info about Bertha but unfortunately there wasn't.

Any ideas or help would be greatly received.

There are only nine males with surname Glasson registered between 1908-1910 in the right area, so it should be fairly easy to eliminate them with a bit of clever free searching on 1911.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      There are only nine males with surname Glasson registered between 1908-1910 in the right area, so it should be fairly easy to eliminate them with a bit of clever free searching on 1911.

OC
      Thanks for that. I've now searched for all of the ones registered with the right name/dob on the 1911 census and it's left me with one. It's not quite the right area for the birth but then I can't find any that have got the exact location match. I've ordered the certificate so now I'll just have to wait and see.

The only thing that's bothering me is if they've got the right age on the 1911 census as we're not sure of when he was actually born. I'm sure I'll soon find out though.

Comment

Thanks for the idea of doing the search on the 1911 census. The birth certificate I ordered came this morning and it's the right one. :smilee:

I wasn't sure it would be as we didn't know that she lived in that area and was miles away from the rest of her family.

Comment

Pleased to hear you were successful :smilee:

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by dizzzy View Post
            Thanks for the idea of doing the search on the 1911 census. The birth certificate I ordered came this morning and it's the right one. :smilee:

I wasn't sure it would be as we didn't know that she lived in that area and was miles away from the rest of her family.
            lovely... the reason she wasnt with the rest of the family could purely be because she was 'sent' away near her time to have the baby 'out of the way?' perhaps. Then came home with the baby and parents took him on?
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I'm assuming that must be the case. He was definitely brought up by her parents. The name of the informant on the birth certificate was a matron at the hospital. Not sure why Bertha didn't register it herself, it wasn't registered until a month after he was born.

Comment

Originally posted by dizzzy View Post
                I'm assuming that must be the case. He was definitely brought up by her parents. The name of the informant on the birth certificate was a matron at the hospital. Not sure why Bertha didn't register it herself, it wasn't registered until a month after he was born.
                I guess we can only speculate, I know that new mothers had to have a period of 'confinement' perhpas this was the case, or she had a difficult birth? perhaps it was 'the norm' for matrons to register new borns in that hospital?

I know that when my gt x2 gran was born in the workhouse the 'master' had to register the births and deaths that occured there.
                Julie

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. Like you say it could be any of those reasons. At least I've got the birth certificate. I did start to think we might not get it. We had a rough idea of when he was born but nothing concrete. Like I said at one point we thought that's why she was in the convent but that was in 1901 not around the right time according to the 1911 census.

My dear mother doesn't seem to believe that she could've done anything bad to have been in the convent. This is another thing that we can only speculate on.

I think my trouble is I must be to nosey and want to know everything that they might have done. I suppose that's why I'm researching the family history.

Comment

no problems. :smilee:

I think that there could be any number of reasons why she was there, like you say we can only speculate.. but it IS good to get that result and prove that you have found his birth cert. well done!

My gran was brought up by nuns, I know that she was orphaned at about 6 yrs old, her older siblings went to live with their brother but I guess he just didnt have the room for 3 more siblings. it was never really spoken about, tbh.

I have since found out that the nuns were running an orphanage and this is where she and her two sisters were placed. I do still have to do some more digging on this line too, but the 1911 census did establish they were there, and I found another sister that no-one knew about.
                    Julie

Comment

That must've been awfull to be orphaned at 6 and then to be seperated from some of your siblings. Obviously her brother would've only had so much room and not have been able to take them all.

I do find it amazing when you look back and see what our families must've gone through.

Comment

quite sad really... both parents died within a month of each other.. TB and its not suprising really to see that when she eventually married she got her fathers name wrong,

I still don't know what happened to the other two sisters, that she was in the orphanage with, the whole family (her brothers and sisters) were all estranged, and didnt talk about it.

one day it will all come to light, I'm just glad that we don't live in that sort of society now... phew!
                        Julie

Comment

I know people seem to think that we've got it bad now-a-days but it's nothing compared to what they must've gone through.

Comment

very true... my own children moan at me sometimes, but I'd like them to see what our ancestors went through too.. its all part of learning.
                            Julie

Comment

Working...
                            X