PDA

View Full Version : At last - Ancestry LMA records worth using!!!

Sue from Southend
15-09-09, 07:14
London Marriages and Banns 1754-1921
London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921 - Ancestry.co.uk (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=List&dbid=1623&offerid=0%3a7858%3a0)

and

London Baptisms, Marriages and Burials 1538-1812
London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 - Ancestry.co.uk (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=List&dbid=1624&offerid=0%3a7858%3a0)

Sadly I have to work this morning but will rush home....:Big Grin:

Caroline
15-09-09, 07:26
Well that will save me a few pounds!! :D

Jill on the A272
15-09-09, 07:28
Oh Sue how wonderful:smilee: thanks for pointing it out:smilee: Just found something I badly needed to confirm:smilee:

I'd better wash up breakfast stuff now & get off to work:emb:

Elaine ..Spain
15-09-09, 07:29
Ooh, thanks for that Sue. That should keep me busy today!
The Marriages & Banns database seems to be fully indexed, but from what I can see of the Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 database you need to search each parish individually.

Elaine ..Spain
15-09-09, 07:33
Having said that, I have just looked up two of mine, even though I have already got the marriage certificates. One of them has the image missing - the only bit to be filmed is the very top of the entry, and on the other it has the wrong image!
Not a good start! :Big Grin:

Edit: Just found another three with either the wrong or incomplete image. Seems such a shame when a lot of time must have been spent filming these records. I can see the report problem button being used rather a lot!

maggie_4_7
15-09-09, 07:41
Wonderful I have found 3 already but I have to go to work.

Elizabeth Herts
15-09-09, 08:28
Great! Well, I can see I won't get much done this morning! :smilee:

Elizabeth Herts
15-09-09, 08:32
I was looking for Blackshaw marriages and found this one:

(3rd one down)
Blackshaw - London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921 - Ancestry.co.uk (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f10=Blackshaw&rs_81004011__date=0&rs_f51__date=0&prox=1&db=lmamarriages&ti=5538&ti.si=0&gss=angs-i&fh=20&fsk=BEFq368IgAAGVwAJDKM-61-&bsk=&rank=1&pgoff=)

I wonder what they actually used?

kylejustin
15-09-09, 08:36
ive found two of mine. are they detailed? or just the simple, both of this parish kind of thing?

LangleyValeSue
15-09-09, 08:38
I've found 8 references to my Tivers in the marriages, but my membership level won't let me access them :(

Elizabeth Herts
15-09-09, 09:06
This is going to save me a fortune - I'm getting marriages for siblings of direct ancestors and therefore no need at all for certificates, with the same amount of information! :smilee::Big Grin:

angelina
15-09-09, 09:31
thankyou so much for putting this link up here - just found a missing first spouse and then found her death only few months later. another piece of the jigsaw completed.
thanks again

Darksecretz
15-09-09, 10:32
Excellent!!

though they have my ann larkins as ANN LASKIN and her husbands year of birth as 1865!! when thats the year he flippin married!!

lol!!

who transcribed this lot??

Elizabeth Herts
15-09-09, 10:45
Julie, there are so many on there who married in the year in which they were born! Absolutely stupid!

However, it's great - and the parish registers too, although a lot of them only go up to 1812.

Darksecretz
15-09-09, 10:53
oooh that might be helpful then... I wonder.......might help chip at a problem thats been niggling me for a long while..

EDIT: nope they are too early for me yet... rats!

maggiemay
15-09-09, 11:04
I have found some but when I look at the image it does not show just part of a differnt image

Margaret

Elaine ..Spain
15-09-09, 11:06
I've found some of those as well Margaret - really annoying.

Caroline
15-09-09, 11:45
I have just changed to the PC which didn't have the enhanced viewer installed, having viewed complete ones on the laptop which did have it installed.

I have installed it now and am getting all the image showing. Using Firefox 3.5.3. :)

Joan of Archives
15-09-09, 12:08
I have found some but when I look at the image it does not show just part of a differnt image

Margaret

You have to view them using the enhanced viewer like Caroline says else you just get part of the image I'm afraid!

:smilee:

Bo the Bodger
15-09-09, 14:03
I can't wait to get home to look - work computer just crashes all the time as we're still on explorer 5 or 6 and under pain of death we are not allowed to upgrade! :Big Grin:

Lynn The Forest Fan
15-09-09, 14:11
Are they searchable by name or do you have to browse?

Elizabeth Herts
15-09-09, 14:22
Lynn, the first link that Sue put up is searchable.

With the second link, you have to select a parish and then browse, but the dates are split up into chunks quite conveniently. Still hard work, though!

maggiemay
15-09-09, 14:27
I have downloaded the advanced viewer but still can't see the image I want

Margaret

Lynn The Forest Fan
15-09-09, 14:45
Thanks Elizabeth

Lal
15-09-09, 15:24
I cannot get any images either - even after following the instructions. I have just had my computer upgraded so surely I shouldn't have any problems!!

Very frustrating!

olga_b
15-09-09, 16:45
Great thanks for that info Sue, they are brilliant & in full detail......Sadly every one I've looked up so far has only half the page! And the half I need to see is missing! What a shame after all the hours spent preparing it.... :-(

Elizabeth Herts
15-09-09, 17:11
If you have what appears to be a blank page, click your mouse on it and drag downward - the entries are often a lot further down the page.

Jill on the A272
15-09-09, 17:24
Can I just put in a plug for the Places of Worship for London & Middx for your newly found marriages?

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/Places_of_Worship:London_(Middlesex)

If you don't find what you need let me know and I may be able to take a picture on my next trip to the capital. More photos (interior shots too for the talk pages) always welcome.

Sue from Southend
15-09-09, 17:33
I'm in genealogical heaven! I renewed my Ancestry sub last year on the promise of these records becoming available and have been getting more and more cross with each day that they didn't appear! Am I the only cynic that wonders at the coincidence of this long promised database appearing a few weeks before FMP include 1911 in their subs?
Off to pore over some more records......

Elizabeth Herts
15-09-09, 17:34
I have not had any problems at all viewing images, whereas my daughter has, and I know a few people on here have.

It might be worth a complaint or a comment, as I think the images are available. How much it is to do with Ancestry themselves or individual computers I don't know!

olga_b
15-09-09, 18:09
Cracked it! Downloaded the advanced viewer... & used the grab & drag m.o. Thanks for the info!! :-)

tinkerbe
15-09-09, 18:21
cant download the advance on my mac using safari
back to upstarirs pc when son finally goes to college tommrow

Peppie
15-09-09, 20:19
Do you need the advance viewer as I can only see even page numbers not odd and guess what pages hubbys ancestors are on?........:eek: GRRRRR

Fantastic resource tho and the images are a clear scan!

Peppie
15-09-09, 20:33
Im in heaven........... Im in heaven............*sings* la la la :clap:

claretaylor22
15-09-09, 21:02
I can view them but it's taking literally 10 mins or more to view each one!:(

maggie_4_7
15-09-09, 21:26
Im in heaven........... Im in heaven............*sings* la la la :clap:

:smilee: so am I...

Had to download enhanced viewer though...

TWINKLESTAR
15-09-09, 21:39
Thanks so much for adding have had real fun today found some of my family
when looking through i found a really sad one

London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 > Haringey > Saint Mary, Hornsey > 1736-1812 > 101

it reads

a poor man from the lodging house name not known poor

It really made me sit and think how sad

Tracy x

Peppie
15-09-09, 21:48
:smilee: so am I...

Had to download enhanced viewer though...

How do you spell your collyers? I have one marrying a possible Copcutt of my hubby ......:tong::Big Grin:

Or it might be another connection to Mrs Houslander......:eek:

Elizabeth Herts
15-09-09, 21:52
I have just found an elusive marriage for OH's ancestor WILLIAM LAMB to MARY MALLATRATT at Saint Alfege's Greenwich on 15th April 1784.

I am over the moon. William lived in Huntingdon and they lived their after their marriage. I would have never found it otherwise. :smilee::smilee::smilee:

maggie_4_7
15-09-09, 21:53
How do you spell your collyers? I have one marrying a possible Copcutt of my hubby ......:tong::Big Grin:

Or it might be another connection to Mrs Houslander......:eek:

Just like that Collyer most from West Ham and Essex!

Val wish Id never started
15-09-09, 23:09
Thanks so much for adding have had real fun today found some of my family
when looking through i found a really sad one

London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 > Haringey > Saint Mary, Hornsey > 1736-1812 > 101

it reads

a poor man from the lodging house name not known poor

It really made me sit and think how sad

Tracy x
know what you mean I found a young one of mine in a workhouse for years today very sad.

Christine in Herts
15-09-09, 23:41
Wow! I've been waiting for this!

I trekked in to LMA to get the Har(r)ison COCK marriages, but they were very dim and scratchy. These are beautiful. I've just saved copies all over again! If anyone has the time, I'd love to know if anyone thinks that Sarah CASTLE signed as witness as well as bride the first time that she and Harison got married (by Licence) in Nov 1811. That might explain why they got married again, by banns, in Sep 1812.

Christine

15-09-09, 23:58
it looks like different writing to me

Christine in Herts
16-09-09, 00:14
it looks like different writing to me

Then I'll have to think of another reason why they got married twice in the same church!

Incidentally - while the images are beautifully clear where they exist, the quality control on the completeness was less than good. I've already reported several images which are chopped off short.

Christine

John-Nihon
16-09-09, 02:05
I'm being asked to pay to view this with my Ozzie membership. Anyone else with Ozzie membership having the same problem?

jenoco
16-09-09, 02:56
Yep John, I'm having the same problem, but at least I can go to the local library and check them out there. I imagine it's not so easy for you...

John-Nihon
16-09-09, 03:46
All I can say is :disapointed: Jenny. So far I've had no problem accessing UK stuff with my Ozzie membership.

maggie_4_7
16-09-09, 07:44
The LMA records are only available on the Premium membership.

John-Nihon
16-09-09, 08:01
I've just gone to check my package and I'm on the 'Annual UK Heritage Package'. When comparing membership options now I notice there seems to be a new 'Annual UK Heritage Plus Package' which includes the London stuff. What a ..... :F!

Bo the Bodger
17-09-09, 15:50
Have had an excellent time fossicking around the records I have found some fairly large disparity on the information contained in the links for Greenwich St Alfege i.e the dates 1893 - 1903 is showing baptisms for 1723 - c1783! :conf:

POSITIVE Pauline
17-09-09, 15:56
I've found loads of stuff, and saved a fortune in certs as well;) I even think I may have tumbled a brick wall as well, but I'm going to get my thoughts in order and put that on a separate thread to see what others think. That will be later this evening.

Does anybody know if there are more records to come? Looking for burials, I've found mine are a bit thin on the ground, even though I know when and where rellies died. It's still a brilliant resource though.

Little Nell
17-09-09, 16:09
This is a fantastic new resource - but I would urge you double check. The church listed in the index isn't always the church on the image!

Elizabeth Herts
17-09-09, 16:39
This is a fantastic new resource - but I would urge you double check. The church listed in the index isn't always the church on the image!

Yes, Nell - I have also found that.

I have also found a baptism given as 1873 when the record clearly says 1837!

And isn't it odd how many people are marrying the year they were born!:Big Grin:

Nevertheless, I have just oodles of stuff. My daughter couldn't sleep last night so got up at 2 am and found all sorts too. She phoned me at breakfast very excited. :smilee:

Jill on the A272
17-09-09, 17:05
I would never have found my ggg grandparents marriage without this new resource, they married in Marylebone then moved to Shoreditch then Stepney. Their first child was born in Shoreditch but they went back to the church they married in to have him baptized.

17-09-09, 18:37
I have the Australian package and am having no problems viewing them John