I am looking to confirm information re
    • Charlotte Manley (nee Evans) widow married Samuel Manley in Cheshire 1835

Children I have found are:
    • Harry Manley b about 1837
    • Ann Manley b about July 1839
    • Edwin Manley b about 21 Mary 1841
    • Mary Manley b about 15 September 1844
    • I have Charlotte & Samuel with Harry, Ann & Edwin on 1841 Census
    • I have only Samuel, Ann & Edwin on 1851 Census.

I have been looking for death notices and found
    • Charlotte Manley death Salford Sept quarter 1846
    • Mary Manley death Salford March quarter 1847

I noted that Edwin Manley (who is my main trail) son Herbert was born in Middlewich Cheshire and so assume perhaps they had moved from Audlem but wondered if Salford was close to either Audlem or Middlewich or if anyone can help with any additional information.

Thanks in anticipation

Cheran
    Cheran

IGI agrees with the marriage info. Samuel MANLEY = Charlotte EVANS 6 October 1835 Audlem, Cheshire but it's a record submitted by a member of the LDS church and not an extracted from the records entry.

The C of E church for Audlem was St James the Great and Bishops Transcripts of Marriages 1557 - 1923 are Cheshire Record Office. They also have Baptisms 1557 - 1928.

GENUKI has no other churches that would suit for your family unless they were know to be Baptist as the Audlem Baptist Chapel was built 1840.

Try posting on the Record Office Lookups Requests section for Cheshire Record Office and see if some kind soul is going there soon and can help you out.
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 15-09-09, 12:04. Reason: addition

Comment

Edwin MANLEY and his wife Mahala PERRY and their family were still in Middlewich in 1881 and in 1891 they are in Mount Pleasant Street, Audenshaw. They are still there in 1901. Your Herbert isn't not with them in Audenshaw though.

In case you lost the couple 1871 the wife is listed as Mahara

Comment

Audlem to Audenshaw is about 50 miles, and another 5 more on to Salford.
        Middlewich to Audenshaw is about 32 miles.

Comment

I'm not exactly sure what other info you are looking for but have you seen the Cheshire Parish Register Project?

CPRdb - Version v3.3 - 7 March 2005

I think the records on there are more reliable than the IGI. The marriage you mentioned above is on there and witness names are given. Some of the baptisms are also on there and if they are the right ones Samuel's occupation is given as a cooper and in some cases, parish clerk. I don't know if this fits with what you know.

The database is not the most user friendly but there's a lot of useful stuff on there
          Jackie

Comment

It looks like your Samuel MANLEY got remarried 1853 to Sarah ASHLEY in Northwich, Cheshire.

He and Sarah appear 1861, 1871 and 1881. 1861 they are in Witton cum Twambrooks, Cheshire. Later they are Ashton under Lyne.

It seems he died in Salford 1897. The age at death is nearly right.
            Last edited by GallowayLass; 15-09-09, 13:13. Reason: correction and addition

Comment

Did your Edwin (he of the wife called Mahala) have a son also called Edwin who had a wife Louisa?

If so then his Granny Sarah (Samuels' second wife) is living with them in Coburg Street, Broughton, Salford in 1901. Class: RG13; Piece: 3722; Folio: 148; Page: 16

Comment

I think Granny Sarah may have died in Salford 1905

Comment

I can do a look up in Northwich next time I go. Some of Middlewich will be in my local library.
                  Pm me if you want a lookup.
                  Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

The Manley's

This is all a greaT HELP and I am trying to put it all together.

Thanks heaps

cheran
                    Cheran

Comment

Jean

If you do have any time , I would really appreciate any help I can get.

What other info do you need to do any looking up!

Cheran
                      Cheran

Comment

manley's of Audlem, Audenshaw, Salford

Galloway Lass

Thanks for following up so much. I do have Edwin & Mahala
                        (ps I found the Mahara error on ancestry it caused no end of trouble for a while. I believe Mahala parents are inaccurately listed on the family search site It has as Mahala Sant, but I believe the William who was her Father was William Perry and mother Phoeboe who as a widow Married William Sant so therefore would be Mahala's stepdad, not the William Sant and Pheobe Patricks (they apprantley had no children) as listed in IGI.)
                        with a son Edwin born 1877 in Middlewich, Cheshire.

I am going through each little bit and trying to put together but it all looks excitedly like My Samuel and Charlotte may have moved to Salford.

Edwin & Mahala had a daughter Charlotte and a son Harry,a daughter Mahala plus 6 others so It will be interesting as their families grow.

Cheran
                        Last edited by cheran; 17-09-09, 05:58.
                        Cheran

Comment

Samuel Manley

Edwin, Samuel's son is listed as a Cooper and a Journeyman Cooper on census, so its all fitting nicely at the moment.

I agree - I have had a few errors with IGI sight that have thrown me a couple of times.

Cheran

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                          I'm not exactly sure what other info you are looking for but have you seen the Cheshire Parish Register Project?

CPRdb - Version v3.3 - 7 March 2005

I think the records on there are more reliable than the IGI. The marriage you mentioned above is on there and witness names are given. Some of the baptisms are also on there and if they are the right ones Samuel's occupation is given as a cooper and in some cases, parish clerk. I don't know if this fits with what you know.

The database is not the most user friendly but there's a lot of useful stuff on there
                          Cheran

Comment

Hi Cheran, Please let us know when you have got what you want so I can close this thread. Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by John-Nihon View Post
                              Hi Cheran, Please let us know when you have got what you want so I can close this thread. Many thanks.
                              John

Sorry I haven't closed off as I am still looking to confirm a couple of things but nearly there - I am sidetracked on another family at the moment but will get back to my Manley's next week.

Thanks again

Cheran:o
                              Cheran

Comment

That's fine Cheran, just let us know when you have received the information you want so we can close the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                  Did your Edwin (he of the wife called Mahala) have a son also called Edwin who had a wife Louisa?

If so then his Granny Sarah (Samuels' second wife) is living with them in Coburg Street, Broughton, Salford in 1901. Class: RG13; Piece: 3722; Folio: 148; Page: 16
                                  Hi

Edwin, Samuel's son did have a son Edwin born c1877 Middlewich Cheshire - I haven't been able to confirm marriage to Louisa. there are 2 on BMD
                                  Louisa Bleakley in Ashton June 1891 8d 583
                                  Louisa Cain in Salford Dec 1898 8d 15

Do you know if there is any parish records on line that might show who Edwin (Samuel's grandson) father was?

Cheran

:o
                                  Cheran

Comment

Working...
                                  X