1911 Subscription

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Subscription

Has anyone heard about this yet? On a user group there was a comment from one of the members that they had been to the National Family History Fair at Gateshead Stadium and spoke to a rep there from FMP who told him that FMP will be taking over the 1911 census in October. There's nothing on the 1911 blog yet that I can see.
    Anyone else heard whispers?
    There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

The 1911 census and Findmypast form part of the same organisation anyway.
    Up until now the 1911 census has only been available on a dedicated site. FMP indicated at the outset that it would be available as part of their subscription package at some time, but as far as I know have not given a date, although the following has been on their website for a week or two:

1911 census
    The 1911 census will soon be available on findmypast.com. In the meantime, you can search the complete census on 1911census.co.uk. You can use your findmypast.com sign in details and credits on the 1911census.co.uk website.

What we all want to know is how much extra we are going to have to pay to view the 1911 as part of the FMP subscription! :Big Grin:
    Elaine

Comment

Weeellllllllllll - if this is right I saw it first - if it's wrong I deny all knowledge of being me!!

[I]FMP will take over the 1911 census from 1911census.co.uk in October.. They will then introduce a "1911 census only" subscription of around £39, and existing "Explorer" subscribers will be able to pay an additional fee of around £30 to upgrade their subscription to include the 1911 census[/I

It will be interesting to see how correct this may or may not be!!!! (and the reactions) :Wink:
      There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Here we go, straight from the FMP website, still looks quiite expensive?

Kate

Comment

That looks very expensive - might think about the 6 month subscription though - won't probably need more than that

Comment

I recently got some pay as you go credits. I counted up how many families I'd want to look for, made sure I could find them via the free search (had to use all the tricks I know in one case, but I got them!), and then got the most appropriate bundle of credits. I like how they give you an indication of what the equivalent number of views on pay as you go would be - allows you to count how many families you need to explore and decide whether it's worth it.

Comment

I can't wait - I already have a subscription to FMP so I'm waiting for their e-mail very eagerly!

I have found most of my families, but I have held fire on all but a few as far as viewing the original page, so I shall be mega-busy!
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

That is interesting, I might have to think about getting one of those subscriptions.
                Lynn

Comment

I also have a sub to FMP on Explorer but mine runs out end of December! Might just get enough time to complete all my 1911 census as at present have resisted all bar one! waiting eagerly for the mail.

Janet

Comment

Phoned up my local library who are supposed to be getting the 1911 census.

They said yes and no - they had access to the 1911 census via the internet - same as us.

but then in about a month or so they'd get it properly but access will be severely restricted

I thought that would probably be for about half an hour - she didn't say that but that's what I'm thinking it will be.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I'm planning to go to the TNA next week, specifically to look at the 1911 census - it is free there isn't it?

Linda
                      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

The National Archives (TNA) has teamed up with Findmypast.com and is going to provide FREE ACCESS to the 1911 census for one year. Over the next few months this service will be rolled out at several archives & records offices. These are: Birmingham Archives, Devon record office in Exeter, The National Library in Wales, Manchester Archives & Local Studies Library, Greater Manchester County Record Office, Tyne & Wear Archives in Newcastle and Nottinghamshire Archives. Each library will also allow visitors to download all sorts of other family history records, including earlier census returns, held at findmypast.com. But TNA is encouraging people to contact the institutions prior to their visit in order to find out exactly when the service will be available. So, if you want to go to one of these places, email or phone them first! I would assume it will get pretty busy!

Comment

my local LDS has the 1911 census site and all it's images for free have you checked to see if it's offered at yours?

Comment

Thanks Peppie - I tracked down my local LDS and gave them a ring. They have just got them in, so I will be going there instead - much easier than London!

Linda
                            Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I've just had an email from FMP. I thought my current subscription would cover me for the 1911 census but apparently not! It seems there is now a special 1911 subscription package for £59.99 for the year. I am really disappointed as I always had the impresson that I would covered for these records at no extra cost.
                              Teresa...

Comment

I've just posted another thread about the subscription, Teresa.

However, I always thought we would have to pay extra for the 1911 added on. I wondering about doing the 6 month sub. and work really hard to get them all done in time!
                                Elizabeth
                                Research Interests:
                                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Teresa from the Bay View Post
                                  I've just had an email from FMP. I thought my current subscription would cover me for the 1911 census but apparently not! It seems there is now a special 1911 subscription package for £59.99 for the year. I am really disappointed as I always had the impresson that I would covered for these records at no extra cost.
                                  Their marketing campaign around Christmas certainly implied that this was the case. If that's when you subscribed, you should definitely challenge them about it.

Comment

Thanks for that Blackberry. I renewed my subscription last February. I will look at the email they sent me then and see if I have a case!
                                    Teresa...

Comment

Does anyone know where Ancestry stands in this ? I've just renewed for the full package there and can't afford yet another subscription (I have GR as well) I will have to do the LDS search to see where my nearest centre is !
                                      Alison

Comment

I don't think Ancestry will have 1911 for quite some years unless there is a licensing agreement of some description, and even then it will cost. Lots!

Comment

Working...
                                        X