Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of trying another line but...problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of trying another line but...problem...

As I'm stuck on the one side of my family I was thinking of trying my father's side. Trouble is my father isn't speaking to me. I know my paternal grandother's maiden name and roughly when she was born and I know my paternal grandfather's name too but not much else...what you reckon?

As long as neither of your grandparents are alive you can give their names and any dates you have here and see if someone can find a marriage for them to get you started.
    It is always worth while trying to make amends with family and it is never too late while they are still living, as once they have gone you will have regrets and wish you could have asked them stuff as many of us now know.

Edna

Comment

Its a shame you can't get information directly from your father but it makes no difference to how you do the research. Lots of us have found that verbal information is a bit .... how shall we say .... selective!

Just go ahead and get the certificates as anyone would do if they can't speak directly to a family member.

Anne

Comment

I've helped a couple of my mates by looking for certificates for them as their older generations did not want to help. It is possible especially as you have some information.

Good luck Ayse

Comment

So marraige cert first way to go then? Would I need their DOB's though? In which case...census?
          Last edited by BendyCowgirl; 14-09-09, 13:15.

Comment

If you know your grandparents names and roughly when they were born you could work out an approximate date of marriage and then search free bmd for the year and place. A lot depends on how common the name is. No need at this stage for birth dates etc

Comment

See if you can find your father's birth - you will hopefully then have his mother's maiden name for certain. I'd then go along the line of looking for the marriage. This works OK unless the names are really common. In this circumstance if I've not been certain I have bought the certs. Good luck

Ayse.

Comment

OK thanks...the name is pretty rare, especially the spelling of it, so I should be ok. I also know my grandmother's maiden name.

Comment

Ancestry has all its marriages transcribed so you should find them just by entering the surnames with no dates, assuming the names haven't been magled!
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                    Ancestry has all its marriages transcribed so you should find them just by entering the surnames with no dates, assuming the names haven't been magled!
                    Yeah let's hope so!

Comment

Originally posted by BendyCowgirl View Post
                      As I'm stuck on the one side of my family I was thinking of trying my father's side. Trouble is my father isn't speaking to me. I know my paternal grandother's maiden name and roughly when she was born and I know my paternal grandfather's name too but not much else...what you reckon?
                      if you are sure you know the surnames then the marriage cert would be the way to go.

it will a) confirm details b) give bride and grooms fathers details and occupations c) any witness' names might be potential family members d) give addresses of bride and groom at the time of marriage.

armed with this lot you should then be able to work out when bride & groom where born (allowing for little fibs re their ages) and find them in the indexes and order the certs to prove you have the right people.

then the census will hopefully provide the rest, (this is presuming that you have actually got back to 1911/1901 with the names) if not then its a repeat again of a marriage OR birth cert or both!) until you get back to the census.

good luck Bendy :smilee:
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

OK, I've had a look but can't find ANYTHING on anybody, not a sausage, tried different spellings too.

Comment

Originally posted by BendyCowgirl View Post
                          OK, I've had a look but can't find ANYTHING on anybody, not a sausage, tried different spellings too.
                          If you want to pm the details for those still alive, I'll see what I can do for you.
                          Margaret

Comment

Thanks margaret that's very kind, it's only me and my father on that side though but will send you details.

Comment

Hi,
                              Got your Pm and have found the marriage of your grandparents and their births. Will Pm the results.
                              Margaret

Comment

I have sent a pm to say I can't see an obvious marriage for your grandmother Betty E Poole's parents Poole to Scott so you need to get Betty's birth cert to go back another generation and on to the censuses. Your grandmother was born after the 1911 so she won't show on that.
                                Margaret

Comment

HI bendycowgirl

I've sent you a PM in connection with your Scott and Poole surnames.
                                  WendyP

Comment

Working...
                                  X