Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master Tobacconist?

My biggest brick wall of real significance is as follows:

OH's great-grandfather was WILLIAM HENRY LAMB born 22nd December 1829 and baptised 11th January 1830 at Whitby. His parents were Charles and Sarah. (Charles was a gunsmith and some of you may remember the lurid account of his death in London from cholera in 1832 that OH's cousin found on Google Books.)

I have William on the 1841 census in Whitby Union Workhouse with some of his siblings. His mother was trying to eke out a living.

After that William disappears for 30 years, re-appearing in 1871 when he married ELIZABETH KINGSTON on 9th March 1871 in Whitby. On the marriage certificate his profession is "Tobacconist".

In 1872 and 1874 on the births of his two children he is entered as "Tobacconist (Master)". He appears on the 1881 census with his wife and OH's grandfather, and died in June 1881 from Laryngeal Phthisis.

I have been trying to discover his whereabouts in the period between 1841 and 1871 to no avail! Does his profession of MASTER TOBACCONIST hold the key?

How did you become a Master Tobacconist - would there be any records for this? Would he have possibly been in the USA, for example?

Any thoughts are welcome - I swear that one day I will find out what he was doing!
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

I don't know about Master Tobacconists, but maybe there WAS such a thing, if you think about it. Tobacco was more "sophisticated" back then, there being hundreds of different blends etc.

But he may just have been bigging himself up - Master in as much as he was an employer, rather than a qualified trade.

If he really was an apprenticed tobacconist though, I'd be looking for signs of him in the West Indies etc. Where better to learn the trade of tobacconist than on a tobacco plantation.

Another thought - he probably served a pauper's apprenticeship, paid for by the workhouse. You could follow that up and see if there are any surviving records. Pauper's apprenticeships were for 10 or 14 years rather than the usual seven.

OC

Comment

YouTube - Steven Books: What is a Tobacco Master Blender

I just found a UTube video description of the title which will explain to you what a Master Tobacconist is/does

Edna

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts, OC.

Your idea about the West Indies is an interesting one and worth pursuing.

I had wondered if he was making himself grander than he actually was. He certainly would have aspired to do well as his father was a gunsmith with some guns still surviving, and his father's family from Huntingdon were by no means rich but nevertheless comfortably off and owned property.

His will might also hold some clues - he left £1,110-13-11 - £1,094-1-3 net. (1881)

He obviously had "stocks, funds, shares and securities" and also shipping interests.

"I direct that my trustees shall sell and convert my personal trust property not consisting of monies invested in Stocks funds shares or securities yielding income (other than personal securities) or in Ships Steamers or other Vessels or parts or shares thereof (hereinafter called “Shipping Property”) and Shall at their discretion either get in the monies invested as last aforesaid ...."

I think I shall have to contact Whitby Archives and see what they know about him. He also had two houses (which he didn't live in) in Whitby.

OH's second cousin talks of him as "Tobacconist and Shipping Agent" but I know he doesn't have much more information than I do.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Edna, thanks for the link. It seems he would have had to have learnt a fair amount.

I wonder if the title "Master Tobacconist" was actually conferred upon him or whether he awarded it to himself!
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

I have a Master Fish Curer in my OH's tree and as far as I can gather it just meant he employed people to help with the curing and selling.
            Margaret

Comment

Elizabeth,

is that your tree on ancestry? it has a very nice picture of him on it. :smilee:

- Ancestry.co.uk
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Maybe their are records of Tobacconist kept ? a GUILD if the is a title of Master Tobacconist?

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                  Elizabeth,

is that your tree on ancestry? it has a very nice picture of him on it. :smilee:

- Ancestry.co.uk
                  Not my tree - but I have this photo (it is a brooch and another family member has it).

My daughter's tree on Ancestry has the same photo (it is a private tree).
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

ahh I see..

perhaps the next course of action would be to look at passenger lists? to see if he really did go abroad to learn his trade?
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

The shipping connection is interesting and adds weight to the theory that he spent some time abroad on a tobacco plantation.

(Well, it does to ME, lol!)

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                        The shipping connection is interesting and adds weight to the theory that he spent some time abroad on a tobacco plantation.

(Well, it does to ME, lol!)

OC
                        OC, I suppose if he owned or had shares in ships there might be some records. Another reason for me to contact Whitby Archives. They must have lots of shipping details. :smilee:
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

Elizabeth

Have you tried a good old-fashioned google? I have ancestors who were involved in shipping (as merchants) and I found quite a lot of stuff on A2A and TNA, plus various newspaper reports via google.

OC

Comment

OC, I have googled until I am blue in the face! I have tried all sorts of permutations (bearing in mind how long it took for the account of the death of Charles Lamb to pop up)!

Don't read this if you are eating or about to eat!!:emb:
                            The Medical magazine - Google Books

One day...
                            Elizabeth
                            Research Interests:

Comment

Elizabeth, I would certainly write to Whitby archives, to inquire about shipping cargoes and ownership, if nothing else.
                              I am wondering if his tobacco stock from across the Atlantic would arrive at a west coast port (e.g Liverpool) and then be transported by rail, or whether it would arrive at a larger east coast port (e.g Newcastle or Hull) and then be transported by smaller vessel.
                              His shares in shipping sounds interesting and I would have expected there to be some mention of this interest in local newspapers, directories etc.

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks, Janet.

I have just phoned Whitby Archives, but I have to phone back on Tuesday-Friday between 10 am and 1 pm to the Library. I am hoping they will be able to help.

No-one else in the family really seems to have investigated where he was for three decades, although he could have come back as early as 1861 and just missed the census. As he owned at least two properties in Whitby there must be records of this too.
                                Elizabeth
                                Research Interests:

Comment

Elizabeth,
                                  Have a look at the catalogue for the North Yorkshire Records Office at Northallerton. They have documents for Whitby shipping.
                                  You may want to contact them too.

With regards to his property in Whitby, the NYRO does have a huge collection of annual catalogues /indexes (??) which record deeds/land transactions (???) or something of that ilk. However, I think you would perhaps have to search this section yourself - a bit like going through the wills calenders.

Jay
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                                    Elizabeth,
                                    Have a look at the catalogue for the North Yorkshire Records Office at Northallerton. They have documents for Whitby shipping.
                                    You may want to contact them too.

With regards to his property in Whitby, the NYRO does have a huge collection of annual catalogues /indexes (??) which record deeds/land transactions (???) or something of that ilk. However, I think you would perhaps have to search this section yourself - a bit like going through the wills calenders.

Jay
                                    Ooh, I can see a trip to Yorkshire beckoning! (OH has more or less retired now, a decision he made a month or so back, so we are free to go on a lot more forays! He is quite happy as long as we don't spend too long in the records offices!)

Jay, your information is very useful, many thanks. :smilee:
                                    Elizabeth
                                    Research Interests:

Comment

If he owned property - does he show up in PO directories for the period?

(Thinking of Historical Directories online)

Christine
                                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Just had a look for him on Emigration and found a William Lamb on the Australian Convict Transportation register from yorkshire, Ship Marion
                                        Convicted Date: 12 Jul 1843
                                        Voyage Date: 22 Nov 1843
                                        Colony: Van Dieman's Land

Place of Conviction: Yorkshire, England he was given seven years.
                                        Dont know if he is yours though

Edna

Comment

Working...
                                        X