Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Jones - The end of the line?

Good Morning All

I am researching my Jones family and I am currently back with my great x 4 grandfather, William Jones. I fear this is the end of the line though because I dont know where to go from here.

He was born 1795c but I dont know where. On the 41 census, he is at Hanover Street in Sheffield and he put Y for born in county.

On the 51 census, he is at 7 Cheney Row, Sheffield, and says he is born Jersey, British Subject.

On the 61 census, he is still at 7 Cheney Row, Sheffield, and this time put he is born 'at sea'. :F

He died in 1869. His occupation was a Brazier and then on 41-61 census he was a silversmith.

William married Mary Marshall in 1822 at the Sheffield Cathedral and their first child, Henry (my great x 3 grandfather) was born in 1823.

Would anyone be able to give any pointers or advice on if there are any options I can explore that may track this man's birth/baptism and his parents? Or should I accept this may be the end of the line?

Many thanks
    Claire

Maybe "Y" for Yorkshire ??

or maybe "Y" to indicate yes, he was born in the county he currently resides in.
    Last edited by Guest; 14-09-09, 09:49.

Comment

Hi John
      Thats what I presumed, so in 30 years, he has stated born Yorkshire, Jersey and at sea :(

Comment

He sounds a confused chap. :conf: Maybe his parents lived in Yorkshire but for some reason he was born aboard a ship. Only speculating. Haven't seen him on LDS yet.

Maybe they relocated from Jersey and he was born on the way.

Comment

You could be right about the relocation and him being born on the way. He certainly doesnt appear to know for sure where he is born.

I have a feeling the 41 census was just put as Y because his wife and all children are born Yorkshire (wife born in Mosborough near Barnsley, all children born Sheffield).

Comment

Working...
          X