Whitebread or Holtaway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitebread or Holtaway?

Can anyone shed any light on this? I have a marriage of Edward Whitebread Holtaway in 1886 marrying Jemima Drane. Father named as William B Holtaway on the marriage certificate. Also a George Whitebread was one of the witnesses. Edward gave all this children Whitebread as a middle name. From the age stated when he got married and also when he died, he should have been born in 1859. 1891 census says he was born in Islington. I can't find him on the 1881 census, 1871 census or 1861 census. We have found a Holloway family in Marylebone on 1871 census, which looks like Holtaway that hasn't been transcribed properly, but I'm not 100% sure.However, there is an entry for the 1861 census for an Edward Whitebread, brother George Whitebread, living as visitors with 2 adults who could be their grandparents, one being Elner Whitebread. I can't find a birth for Edward. We did find one birth and sent off for the cert but apart from the name, nothing else matches anything. So, was he born a Whitebread or a Holtaway? Who was his mother? Was William B Holtaway really his father or step father? Any theories welcome, evidence even more welcome!:smilee:

oh and if the 1871 census is right then his parents were William B Holtaway and Eleanor. Can't find a marriage of a Holtaway and a Whitebread and can't find a marriage of a William B Holtaway marrying at all! Hopefully this will be a case of me not looking properly!

Comment

This is the ref for peeps looking for 1871
      RG10; Piece: 186; Folio: 65; Page: 40
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I seem to have found the older William Holloway as Holloway, born 1802 in Swaffam, Norfolk, in 1861. He's working as a commercial clerk which fits with the 1871 info, but annoyingly is a visitor with no other family members. It seems that the name is Holloway and not Holtaway though.

RG9; Piece: 1341; Folio: 76; Page: 3;

Comment

Have you got the 1891 ref as i can't find him.

Comment

The 1871 census is for an Edward R Holloway c1859. What makes you think this is your man?
            From the 1891 census the year of birth is c1866 not 1859.
            Margaret
            Last edited by margaretmarch; 13-09-09, 19:11.

Comment

There's a birth for Edward Whitebread
              1867 Jun Epping, Essex
              Vol: 4a, Page: 79
              and one for
              Male Whitebread
              1866 Sep, Barnet, Greater London, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Vol: 3a, Page:127
              Which may or may not be relevant.
              Margaret

Comment

We are guessing his year of birth and place of birth due to information on later census and his marriage certificate. It could be wrong.
                Date of marriage 14 Sept 1886 at St Annes Church, Tottenham. Edward Whitebread Holtaway age 27 a clerk living at 20 Luffield Road, Wandsworth. Father William Holtaway, a traveller. Witnesses George Whitebread, Francis H Rice, J Garner (?) and W Holtaway.
                1891 Census RG12/1342 folio 35 page 18
                Edward W Holtaway age 32 living with wife Jemima E and daughter Amy. Says he was born in Islington, Middlesex.
                1817 census - this is a bit of a guess. Its known that census age could be 5 years out. Also, if the people that an Edward Whitebread was living with in 1861 were his grandparents, they had a daughter called Eleanor who was born in West Hanningfield, as was George Whitebread, who we think is the same one who was a witness on the marriage certificate. Like I said, this is a guess and I'm not sure, but I put the information into ancestry to see if I got any links with anyone else, but haven't. So if you can prove me wrong then that will be just as good as proving me right! :-)

Comment

It isn't known that census age could be 5 years out. In 1841 ages were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 which is why people often have an age ending in 0 or 5. Other censuses didn't have rounding down.

I thought 1871 census wasn't his family as I found the elder William in earlier census as Holloway.

Comment

Oh just the 1841? I know sometimes the ages have been a couple of years out on some of my other families. But the enumerator only writes down what he's told I suppose! I was wondering if the Holloway was Holtaway, but the 't' hadn't been crossed? Or maybe the accent was quite strong? Or did someone in the family did something the others didn't like so they changed the surname slightly? We would just like to find Edwards birth so that we can order the certificate and find out who is father is (although I have my doubts and think that the fathers name coloumn will be blank). We have quite a lot of information on his wifes side of the family. There is also a tale about the Whitebread actually being Whitbread, but I can't find any evidence of that either.
                    Thanks
                    Lisa

Comment

Working...
                    X