This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photographs: ACTIONED - The Somme

I am going to Northern France for a few days on Thursday to lay a wreath on my G. Grandfather memorial.

If anyone would like a photograph of a grave or memorial, pm with the details of name, cemetary and whereabouts in the cemetary and I will do my best to get there.

Someone has been collating war memorial photos for the Wiki - like the Places of Worship project... Just can't remember who, at the moment.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Oh right, I didn't know that Christine.

Comment

I had an attack of intelligence, and had a look on the Wiki board:

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine.

Comment

Sue - one for "only if you happen to have someone buried there". The cemetery is KNIGHTSBRIDGE CEMETERY, MESNIL-MARTINSART. This is the description from the CWGC site, so I'll fully understand if you can't do it:

The village of Mesnil is about 8 kilometres north of the town of Albert on the D129 road. The cemetery is about 2 kilometres north-east of Mesnil (signposted in the centre of Mesnil). Access is by a farm track of which 1 kilometre is tarmac and 1 kilometre is dirt track (unsuitable for cars). The cemetery is 200 metres from the track and no permanent grass pathway exists. It contains 548 First World War burials, 141 of them unidentified.

Just posting this for interest, as it's most unlikely anyone else has someone buried there.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

My grandad's first action was the first day of the Somme. He was 17. Lied about his age to be with his brother. Luckily he lived to tell the tale. His brother's is the war grave but not the Somme - he is on the Tyne Cot memorial and in a grave nearby.

Comment

Hi Sue, I'm collecting non-uk war memorial pictures for the wiki. All new contributions most welcome. I see that Christine has already given you a link to the thread. Here's a link to the actual wiki page for you to view:

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/War_Memorials

Have a good trip.

PS. I've also got the links on my signature.

PS, PS. I've relocated this thread to 'Research offers'. I thought it better placed there.
                Last edited by Guest; 14-09-09, 03:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                  Sue - one for "only if you happen to have someone buried there". The cemetery is KNIGHTSBRIDGE CEMETERY, MESNIL-MARTINSART. This is the description from the CWGC site, so I'll fully understand if you can't do it:

The village of Mesnil is about 8 kilometres north of the town of Albert on the D129 road. The cemetery is about 2 kilometres north-east of Mesnil (signposted in the centre of Mesnil). Access is by a farm track of which 1 kilometre is tarmac and 1 kilometre is dirt track (unsuitable for cars). The cemetery is 200 metres from the track and no permanent grass pathway exists. It contains 548 First World War burials, 141 of them unidentified.

Just posting this for interest, as it's most unlikely anyone else has someone buried there.
                  I have put this on my list Uncle John.

Comment

John, I will try and put some photos on the Wiki when I get back, but will probably be shouting for help lol.

Comment

Thanks Sue, Don't worry, we'll sort you out if you manage to get any photos. :Big Grin:

Comment

Actioned. :Big Grin: Thread closed.

Comment

Working...
                        X