According to 1911 census....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• According to 1911 census....

7 children born to a couple, 1 living and 6 who died.

.... I've found the births of 3 (incl the one that lived) and the deaths of 2 that died at 2 locations in England ...

it looks like most of the births / deaths occurred between marriage in 1891 and final child born in 1897 but I've only found the living one on census

... any suggestions how I can determine where the remaining 4 were born / died ????
    Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 13-09-09, 14:56.
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

I'm in a similar situation with a number of my families on the 1911 census. Unfortunately there's not really a lot one can do, other than search the various indexes quarter by quarter for the surname, cross checking births with early deaths. In your case, are there any clues on the 1901 census? Though you did say they appear to have died by 1897, so that narrows your time search quite considerably. I must admit I've been quite upset by some of the mortality stats in my city based families - up to 50% in many cases. Very troubling really,

Kate x
    Last edited by Kate P; 13-09-09, 15:23.

Comment

Hi Kate ... I've been pondering this one and have come to the conclusion that children born / died from a previous marriage must have been included (although I've only found 1 of them)

... to have 7 children in 6 years would have been a speedy turnaround !!

Unfortunately that makes living success rate in this case only 1 out of 7 = 14% .... if I can find corresponding births / deaths I'd be interested to know if there was a common mortality reason

Comment

did you watch Martin Freeman on who do you think you are? 6 out of 12 of his great grandparents children died from syphilis which was very common then.
        Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

The 'worst' family in my case do display the pattern that was examined on Martin Freeman's episode, but without being able to locate the deaths precisely I won't be able to prove cause. There's one healthy child born and then a large 7 year gap followed by another healthy child, and then a mix of survivors and early deaths - 6 out of 12 died. Then there's the couple with 8 children born in just 11 years of marriage, with four survivors. And one family where it was just the one child death but really quite a sad one - epidemic enteritis at just 7 months old. From what I can gether this is basically just sickness and diarrhoea. Things that could be treated so easily these days, but were truly fatal barely a hundred years ago I have the receipts for the grave plot and coffin. I shed a tear alright.

Comment

Distant rellies of my ex on 1911 had written down all their children and ages, but it didn't make sense. I realised they'd listed all the children they had and the age they were when they died.

Albert Charles Higho 7 weeks
            William Alfred Higho 11 months
            Annie Higho 4 years
            Annie Higho (twin) died 12 hours
            Albert Higho (twin) aged 6 hours

plus two living children. Although Higho is an uncommon name, I wouldn't have known which of the various Highos these children in the birth & death indexes belonged to without the parents recording them on the census. Maybe they didn't understand they were only meant to list living children - or maybe they wanted their babies to be recorded somewhere. Either way, its sad reading.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I have one similar to Nell, my OHs grandparents had a daughter i knew nothing about and there she is age 3 in 1911, with the numbers against her name crossed out, she was born and died in 1909, i shed a tear when i found that.

Sylvia
              Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
              Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
              Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Hi - I think I may have found all the children .. she was married twice and lived in more than one location. I'm going to write to record offices to see if they'll confirm whether or not I'm right.

Plus ... contacted rellie who's got death certs for 2 of the children (they haven't found all 6 births and corresponding deaths) 1 died aged 3 months from diarrhoea/exhaustion and another died aged 4 months from tuberculosis/atrophy ... presume deaths may have been due to poor living conditions at that time ???

Thankfully the final child one survived

Comment

Working...
                X