NSW/Qld lookups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cemetery: NSW/Qld lookups.

No idea where to put this as it needed a prefix, but I can take photos, check cemeteries and do local lookups for the New England/ Granite Belt/ Darling Downs area.

This covers from about Armidale in NSW through Glen Innes, Tenterfield into Qld around Toowoomba.

A large number of Scots and Germans worked these areas in the 1840s onwards.

If you're not sure, just yell anyway.

Hi - I'm also in Aus. I don't have any look ups, but have told a few people who I'm in touch with if that's ok. They would be predominantly Jewish, although around the time, more than likely would have been buried in
    general cemeteries.
    Naomiatt

Comment

No worries, Naomiatt...................I love cemeteries and the local library is only down the road.

Comment

Hi, I am in Adelaide and my gr gr grandparents are buried in Crows Nest Cemetery. Would love a photo? If you can, I will pm the details.

Annette
        oakes63 passed away in September 2021

Comment

Please do Annette. I should be going in that direction the next month or so.

Comment

I live near Home Hill & Ayr in Nth Queensland I can take photos & send ( if instructed how)
            Burdekin has a web site I believe as well.
            This is a area that had Italian, Spanish people come for work, some shifted here after the Gold Rush in Charters Towers.

Comment

Hi. I recognise the name Charters Towers. Are you in the Townsville area please?
              I am looking for any info on Sarah Frances Ackers neé Peek (d1915) her husband James Gamble Ackers (d 1905) and his mother Maria Amelia Ackers neé Archer.(d1915) I think they lived in Sturt St and were buried in West End cemetery. James brother was William Archer Ackers one time mayor of Townsville.
              I think the surviving children of James & Sarah were Alice Ruth b 1888, (married John A E Hebb,) James Alfred Ackers b 1891 and Minnie Sara b 1894 (married Edward Hebb)
              My son was in Townsville whilst visiting friends but before I started the family tree unfortunately. If you are out and about and can take any relevent snaps I would appreciate it.
              Maria Amelia had it really hard, widowed and bringing up children in the London slums (Jack the Ripper era). Sarah Frances was my gt aunt and I have a lot of info if you happen across any living Ackers.
              Any help you can give would be appreciated.
              Many thanks

Comment

Hi Basse......Welcome to FTF.

If you have a look in the White Pages there are 53 Ackers listed. There are a few still in Townsville.

Comment

Hello Bassee Harrys mum,

I live in a place called the Burdekin the councils here have web sites with pictures, I am about 3 hours from Charters Towers, and nearly 2 hours from Townsville.

I how ever know the name you are looking for Ackers from the Mount Isa area they still live there.

I will try to get the name up on a web site as at present I cant get to either Townsville or the Towers as I have a opp appointment in March, how ever I will try my best to ask around to people who may do it for me,

I hope thats ok?
                  I think our passed relatives did it tough, that s one of the reasons I am still trying to do what ever I can to get my tree in order.

take care jaff

Comment

Hi Jaffie Thanks for your reply - any help appreciated. I had a look at Burdekin on flikr -quite a place
                    Thanks

Comment

Hi basse, everyone have a great day,

I cant get to help you at this time , & everyone seems to be busy, the Townsville West End Cemetery may have a keeper if you can google Townsville City COUNCIL they may help as a lot of Family history Groups are in that area He/She may know of them,

Sorry I cant get there for a while, I only can drive down the road about 4 klm to the Local ones here.

Take care Jaff

Comment

Hi Basse...............

I'm sorry i thought I'd helped you, but it was someone else.....lol

No worries, blame my brain....I've just started back at Uni and am reading really big words...lol

Here is the Townsville Council's contact details..

I emailed them with the other persons (the one I thought was you) details and they replied with the burial details within half an hour.

Most cemeteries in Qld are run by local councils and they are more than happy to look up details for you. I think it's a job they know they'll get thanked for.......instead of whinged at about roads, rubbish, etc...

Comment

Thanks Harrys Mum, I hope Basse, get the web site,

I am able to do anything around the Burdekin, but as you know most now are on the Web or ring Burdekinshire Council,

Yes they are very happy to help,& smile.

Have a great day jaff

Comment

Ackers Townsville

Thanks guys. Info much appreciated.

Comment

Not a cemetery lookup, but census if possible. WILLIAM EDWARD TATHAM born 1887 London England immigrated with his wife abt 1923 to Manly NSW he died 1967. His wife Mary Heggarty died in 1937 and in 1938 he married EMILY KATE BOUSFIELD. in 1936 he lived at 12 Pacific Parade,Manly and in 1936 he lived at 15 Collingwood Street,Manly.
                              I would like to know if they had any children after they arrived in OZ ? if poss.please.

sunny rosy

Comment

William's death is indexed in the Ryerson Index:

An index to death and funeral notices, and other death-type information, published in Australian newspapers from 1803 to the present

If you click on Requesting a Look-up and fill in the form, one of the volunteers may be able to find his newspaper death notice, which with a bit of luck will include the names of his children.

You won't be able to find the children's births online, because they only go up to 1909, and the online electoral registers only go up to 1954, so the children won't be old enough to show up.
                                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 13-09-10, 17:26.

Comment

Thanks Mary i tried that but unfortunately i only know his year of birth, so it wasn't enough info for them to go on.

sunny rosy

Comment

You have his year of death, and it's listed in the index, so they may well have his death notice, which was published in the Sydney Morning Herald. There's no need for his birth date.

The other alternative is to get his death certificate, which should give the names of his children. You can get it direct from the NSW BMD Registry by searching for the death and clicking on Buy Now:

The Registry was formed in 1856 to register life events in New South Wales accurately and securely for all time, ensuring their integrity and confidentiality. All our over the counter services are available at Service NSW centres.

but it's cheaper to get a transcription from an authorised transcription agent:

The Registry was formed in 1856 to register life events in New South Wales accurately and securely for all time, ensuring their integrity and confidentiality. All our over the counter services are available at Service NSW centres.

Comment

Thanks very much Mary.

sunny rosy

Comment

I am not sure whether my query would be considered Family History, but here goes.
                                        My close friends, we went to school together here in the UK and now I am a Senior Citizen, emigrated to Australia in 1963 and eventually settled in
                                        Brisbane. Up until 1974 we kept in close touch then, strangely, enough we both moved house at the same time, mislaid addresses and that was that.
                                        I have tried so many times to find ways of finding them and the only sighting was a possible entry on a 1984 Electoral Roll. I have done all the usual
                                        things and contacted, left messages with the recommended search engines over the years but no luck. If anyone could help, well, it goes without
                                        saying too much how grateful I would be.
                                        Details are:
                                        Valerie Ellis born UK 1936, Norman Ellis born UK c1940, Ayleen Ellis born UK 1961. I believe in total there were eventually 4 children.
                                        Last known address: Englefield Road, Oxley, Brisbane, QLD, NSW.

Thank-u
                                        Dreen22

Comment

Working...
                                        X