settlement orders help please..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• settlement orders help please..

I have been looking at these and found an entry that is of interest, though I dont understand what the categories/entries mean.. can anyone help me understand please.

I have a Mary Watchorn, in the year 1812 and she is a widow,

This is what is puzzling me: date 12 may 1812 (this bit I do understand)

Respondant Redmile
    Appellant Aslockton, Nottmshire

this is entered twice and in the decisions box, there is Respites and for the second entry Discharged

can someone explain in 'simple terms please' what this means?

many thanks for reading
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

No personal knowledge but this may help. Your entry appears to be the parishes involved.

"Settlement and Removal Records
    The 1697 Settlement Act debarred strangers from residing in the parish unless they provided a Settlement Certificate showing that they would be taken back by their home parish if they became in need of poor relief. Removal Orders were issued when this became necessary"
    Quote from The Local Historian's Encyclopedia by John Richardson

Edit:
    Here's other explanations
    Settlement and Removal

Better check that it still applied in 1812.
    Last edited by keldon; 11-09-09, 17:02.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Julie,

This looks more like an appeal against a Removal Order. Not certain but it appears that a Removal Order has been issued by Redmile to send Mary back to Aslockton. They in turn have appealed against this hence the Apellant & Respondant references. The ones I have seen are either allowed or dismissed so I can't see how your two words correspond.
      Glen

Comment

thanks Phil...

Glen,

I can show you what I mean I can't seem to make head nor tail of it, I think I must be abit dense...lol!!

Julie

Comment

In law, Respite means adjourned or put over to another date. In this case I think it means the recognizance, in other words, sum of money for bail was put over to another date for the next hearing.

See reference here.
          A dictionary of mechanical science ... - Google Books
          and here
          The law-dictionary, explaining the ... - Google Books

So the first date of case was adjourned for another date. On that date the case was discharged. Now comes the problem, I'm not sure what discharge would mean in this case. It appears in the first Google Books reference above but could also mean the order was discharged. Let me do some more digging.
          Last edited by keldon; 11-09-09, 18:58.
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

So, Aslockton is her 'home' parish? as Glen says?

I might have to have a look in the pr's to see if she was born there.
            Julie

Comment

I think the respite is a temporary suspension of the order. It's happened with mine if someone was ill. Then second time around they discharged the appeal, as in dismissed.

As she was a widow it would have been her husband's place of settlement so it may not be where she was born.
              Last edited by Oakum Picker; 11-09-09, 23:09. Reason: More info.
              Glen

Comment

hmmm,

I was kind of hoping that I might find her birth/bapt I have nottm bapts on cd there are Rippons on it, but not when she should've been born.

I know that she married in Melton Mowbray in 1790 but after the birth of her third child, I find no trace..

I was hoping that this settlement order would be a peice to the puzzle, but its looking more and more unlikely now.
                Julie

Comment

It's worth a look Julie, both she & her husband may have been born there - I was only pointing out that it may not be so.
                  Glen

Comment

Working...
                  X