census lookup for ann.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• census lookup for ann.

This is a long shot but I am wondering if Ann Nicholls, bc 1775, is on the 1841 census. I would appreciate a look up.

Birthplace unknown, but had a child born in Lying in hospital Holborn in 1807 age 32.

Still trying to knock a few bricks out of the wall with this family!:D

Thanks very much.

Looking for Ann Nic* born 1775 =/- 5 years (bearing in mind habit of rounding ages in 1841) in Middlesex (which included London) there are two unlikely candidates. If you look for elsewhere there are a lot and I don't know how you would figure out who was the right one. Plus, your Ann might have been married later and changed her surname.

Have you found the child born in 1807 on 1841 census?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      I have the son on the 41 census, and she is not with him.

Do you think the 51 would be a better search? I see there are several Ann Nicholls bc 1775 Middlesex.
      Last edited by treesa; 11-09-09, 18:24.

Comment

Worth trying, but again how would you know it was the right person?

Comment

Ann would be a widow so that would narrow it down. If she had married again, I would be looking at the wrong names, so I thought it would be worth a try looking for her as Nicholls.

Comment

1851 search for Ann Nich* in Middlesex born 2 years either side of 1775 brings up two possibles, assuming your Ann didn't die, or remarry and stayed in Middlesex:

1) HO107; Piece: 1704; Folio: 242; Page: 21
            Ann Nicholls abt 1775 Great Waltham, Essex, England Head living in almshouse in Cheshunt with 18 yr old granddaughter Eliza Nicholls. It says Ann was a widow, almswoman formerly wife of a groom. So there's a clue with former husband and granddaughter to see if you can connect her.

2) HO107; Piece: 1545; Folio: 595; Page: 25
            Ann Nichols abt 1776 Aldgate, London, England Mother St Mary Whitechapel, Middlesex
            The head of household here is a 37 year old Henrietta Bishop (birth approx 1814). Henrietta's occupation looks like washerwoman. She is widowed, with 2 children, Henrietta 10 and William 8 both born Whitechapel. Henrietta senior's birthplace is transcribed as Minovus, but I think its Minnories, which is a road in the Aldgate area.
            Last edited by Little Nell; 12-09-09, 09:51.

Comment

1841 census shows Henrietta Bishop aged 23 (age rounded down?) with a Wilbur Bishop aged 25 and 1 year old William, in Lower Chapman Street, St Paul, St George's, Middlesex. Wilbur is a shoemaker and his name could also be William, its not written very clearly.

HO107; Piece 697; Book: 6; Civil Parish: St George Middlesex; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 12; Folio: 65; Page: 25

Comment

:p I said it was a long shot! Thanks very much for your help.

Ann is the widow of Peter, a smith, which ties in with a marriage cert where he was stated as a blacksmith.

Only two known children, Peter and William, William being the elder. It is possible that there were older children, but Peter jnr would be the last, as the father was deceased at his birth.

It says, 'Settlement St Botolph Aldgate on Peter's baptism.

Comment

Working...
                X