Captains register Lloyds of London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captains register Lloyds of London

I've found an entry for my OH's ggf on the Lloyds of London register. Would this give details of his death - we think he was still working when he vanished off the face of the earth as he would only have been about 60. Would I have to go to the Guildhall Library to access the records?

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

I think we've had this topic - or something very similar - before. In any event, you could always email the place where the records are supposed to be and ask about access. Some places will make copies - for a fee - and, usually, providing you sign an undertaking about copyright.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

None of my sea-captains have their death recorded on the Lloyds Captains List. The entries I have seen just record their qualifications and dates.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I think you may find that many of the Lloyds Lists will now be found at LMA rather than Guildhall.

Janet

Comment

Thanks for your info. I will probably take a look at them some time but not rush for it .

Linda
          Linda

Comment

Hi Linda I too have captains in the register and some are recorded as deaths - William Wilson "drowned on his ship with all hands" and Robert Wilson "died of fever at Black River" while on a journey to Jamaica from/returning to England. The log also shows which ships they captained and the journey dates.
            Ros
            Last edited by skingers2; 12-09-09, 21:15. Reason: Extra info

Comment

Thanks for your help, but I finally managed to track him down yesterday, he died on his ship, of pneumonia, off the Scottish coast.

Linda
              Linda

Comment

I had one who died of apoplexy at the age of 40 while nearly sinking his ship in the River Elbe. I found most of that from his overseas death certificate.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                X