Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anomolies on the 1911 census

Hi

Has anyone else found naming anomolies on the 1911 census? I have only downloaded 5 pages and on 2 of those there are wrong names listed. The first is my grandfather whose middle name is wrong (should be Edwin according to him and his birth certificate but was put down as Thomas!) and the other one is my MIL's aunt who is down as her middle name (which she was, in later years certainly, never known by!)

Neither families had lots of money so would have completed the survey's themselves and they are definately right in both cases.

Why would the names be different? Is it a case of men just not remembering ...:p? My granddad was 5 and my MIL's aunt was 10 months.
    :D Charney Jo

Yes I found relatives with the help of this forum. There names were transcribed wrongly. When you view the census, you can report an error. If they verify the error
    they will then correct it. I am waiting for confirmation that mine has been corrected.
    Glenda

Comment

If the parents filled in the form then it must be the name they were known by.
      I have just discovered that my aunt, who we always knew as Aunty Lil, was actually called Josephine!
      My husband in Thomas John but has always been known as John as his dad was Thomas.
      Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Each householder was expected to write their own form, regardless of how much money they had.

If they are wrong on the original sheet then whoever completed the form made a mistake.

If the errors were made in transcription then you can get them amended.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

My gr-grandmother completely her family's form - her husband is awol. All three of her children are marked as female, even my grandfather!

And don't always believe certificates either. This grandfather was born in 1909 and was named Wilfred. His brother William was born in 1922 - he is listed in the GRO indices as Wilfred as well.
          I haven't bought that particular certificate, but I presume that Wilfred is the name on the cert.
          Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

One I downloaded had a very badly filled in form, all blots, children's ages in the wrong columns crossed out & re-entered.

*Cue sinister music*

I wasn't surprised as 6 months later the man who filled it in was committed to Broadmoor...

Comment

Yes, I am sure that they are the right ones and know that they were filled in by the head of the household this time! Interesting though because Thomas isn't even a family name!

Still, at least I will have an easier time than some researching my family. When my grandmother was alive she gave me the names of her brothers and sisters. I found another relative who took some convincing that her Polly was really Mary (x2 - my grandmother and her mother); her Cissie was my Alice Ada, etc.
              :D Charney Jo

Comment

Bob
                You either get the image for 30 credits OR the transcription for 10 credits - this it what Nell means may be incorrect.
                Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Working...
                X