Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most unlikely true family story? From how long ago?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most unlikely true family story? From how long ago?

We all know family stories have to be taken with a pinch of salt - but what's the most unlikely story in your family that turned out to be true?

We were told there was Danish blood in my grandfather's family. Yeah, right, we thought, just because grandad was blond and blue-eyed...except that it was true! Back in the 1700s my 4xg-grandfather was called Hans Christian - sounds Danish to me!

I feel I owe my grandparents an apology!;D

Great Grandad was supposed to have been the first man to ride a pennyfarthing from London to Wales.

I don't know if he ever got to Wales but he got to Salisbury from his London home, here's the photo my aunt gave me recently

Comment

G grandad must have sped in front of his friend & got there first! Think they have a cycling club kit on.

Comment

Don't yet know if it's true or not, and it's one of those that could take a few years to bottom out, but there's a recieved family story on my paternal grandmother's side that suggests one ancestor was French. I've managed to prove that's not the case to at least 3xg grandparent level, but the point at which I've exhausted my existing online activity is with an early 1800 silk thrower in London - possible Hugenot links furhter back? Who knows, but it's certainly enough to keep my mind coming back to it!

Comment

Working...
        X