IGI Search Any Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGI Search Any Ideas?

I have searched for Joseph Edmunds in Batch No C023992 (St Mellons, Monmouth). The record that is returned shows date of Baptism 11 May 1793. The record shows his Father is Edmond David and in the messages section is the following:

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

This information was generated from another entry that appears in this index. Look for another entry for this person.

Although I have used the IGI for 9 years I have never seen the part I have highlighted above before. I have not been able to find an alternative entry as suggested. Can anyone help with this?

I have not come across this either Pat... be interested to see the outcome..
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

It's strange that there is another baptism of Joseph Edmunds on exactly the same day at Llanarth. Different father named though????

I wonder if the parish record has a lot more to say here. Maybe the parents were not married and one of these fathers was 'reputed'. I don't know how far away Llanarth and St Mellons are. Perhaps one is a chapel of ease to the other? Sometimes baptisms get recorded at both places.

I've never seen an entry like that either.

Anne

Comment

The red balloon on this map Google Maps shows St Mellons. Can't see a Llanarth nearby though.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
          It's strange that there is another baptism of Joseph Edmunds on exactly the same day at Llanarth. Different father named though????

I wonder if the parish record has a lot more to say here. Maybe the parents were not married and one of these fathers was 'reputed'. I don't know how far away Llanarth and St Mellons are. Perhaps one is a chapel of ease to the other? Sometimes baptisms get recorded at both places.

I've never seen an entry like that either.

Anne
          Just looked at this entry Anne, and it's in September, mine is in May, same day and Year though. I also looked on Google maps and found that Llanarth is near Abervagenny and approx 46 mins drive via the M4. Would have taken a lot longer to get there in those days I think - maybe 4 months;D

It is possible this child was also given the Surname Thomas.

Comment

How odd, I've had another look and found another Baptism for him on 22 Sep 1725 with the same Father and Mother shown as Anne Wm.

I have also looked both Baptisms up on the online PRs for St Mellons that are on Rootsweb. In those, both entries are shown, but neither have the Surname Edmunds. The later one shows base s/o Edmund David. I wonder who his Mother was?

Comment

More investigation shows a Baptism for an Edward David on 12 April 1754 with Father David Lewis and Mother Ann. It seems as though the child was given the Father's first name as a Surname. This seems to have happened with my Joseph Edmunds too. I have not come across this before either.

Comment

Oh dear, seems to be a glitch on the IGI. All the Surnames for the children on that Batch number have been given the first name of the Father as their surname. Bit of a transcribing or programming error I think.

Comment

What's possibly happened is that the data came from an earlier database and whoever set up the merge got the fields wrong. It does happen quite a lot.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

That makes sense Uncle John. I have sent them an email to let them know the problem.

Comment

On the Monmouth baptism site it says he was the base born son of Edmund David
                      Jennie
                      Research: A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots .

Comment

Update

Update to my earlier posts.

I have had a few replies from the people at Family Search (IGI) and thought some of you might find this informative. I sent them examples of the children being given the Father’s first name as the Surname and also showed them some examples from other batch numbers, also in Monmouthshire.

These are the replies:

We have been researching your case for John Thomas in St Mellons, Monmouthshire, Wales. This is a Welsh county, and most of the Welsh records during that period of time used patronymics, which used the first name of the father as the surname. This did not change in many areas until the mid-to-late 1800s.

These records have been extracted just as they were written in the St Mellons parish registers.

We are attaching a document which may assist you with patronymic searches. (See the second item.)
                        Click on the blue underlined title below.

We wish you success with your family history endeavors.

Document Links:
                        Tips for Finding Deceased People

And:

We were able to replicate exactly what you were seeing. That is why we knew that the parish records were patronymically designated. We hope that the document we sent last night may help you.

Patronymics are a challenge, but they can be useful. In Wales the surnames Thomas, Johns, Evans, etc. are very common because of this. We hope you are able to figure them out. Perhaps you might like to try our wiki.familysearch.org to see if someone could assist you in the locality.

Comment

Hmmmm ... it doesn't explain why the entry said (to quote your first message)

This information was generated from another entry that appears in this index. Look for another entry for this person.

Or am I missing something :emb:

Anne

Comment

I think the "information generated from another entry" probably refers to "Sealings for the dead" which are Mormon religious records.

The other possibility is, as UJ suggested, the information was extracted by Unknown Unknown, and sent to the LDS for inclusion in their records. They never refuse submitted work and some of the earlier "extracted" records are in nit picking fact, SUBMITTED, in that the LDS had no control or input into the extraction process.

Very interested to read that you got a reply from them, though.

OC

Comment

I presume that the message:

is because of the naming pattern, although I have not been able to find him elsewhere in that batch.

To be fair to the LDS, I did not ask them specifically about that message but about the apparent error in transcription or programming which gave the children's surname as that of their Father's first name.

Comment

Working...
                              X