Fromelles war graves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fromelles war graves

I hope someone can give me a steer on this. A family history contact informed me an ancestor was possibly killed at Fromelles and DNA is needed for identification purposes. She is in direct line from his father, so her brother's DNA is just what is needed on that side. However mitochonrial DNA is needed on the mother's side. Mine is no good. My contact has found the birth of someone born in Canada in 1945 who would be a possible candidate. My question is now might we set about tracing him? All suggestions welcome. I could ask my contact for more information, but as he is (hopefully) still living I couldn't give too much away. but hopeful because you lot always seem to come up with ideas on here.

'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' Bertrand Russel.

Nudge

Comment

If the name isn't too common, you could try the phone book.

Canada 411 - People Search or Business Search using Canada's Telephone Directory

Comment

his dna wouldnt be any good either, unless they both have the same female common ancestor. eg, both shared a maternal grandmother.

Comment

Hi, that is the case, they both shared a maternal grandmother. I don't have much hope of tracking him down, we'll just have to hope the DNA from the other side is enough. And thanks for the web address Mary

Comment

I've seen the letter sent to possible relatives asking for their DNA and family tree information.

This was sent to the nephew of a deceased soldier - his mother's brother.

It was all very longwinded and I couldn't really make sense of it - wasn't able to study it properly.

Can anyone explain in simple terms whether that is a close enough relative for this DNA process or who might make a better match.

Nephew is trying to find any offspring of the deceased's brother if he had any - he's presuming a son would be a closer match but what if he had had daughters or grandchildren?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hi Jbee, I don't really understand the ins and outs of DNA but I'll give you my handle on it. As far as I can make out they would like two sets of DNA one from the direct line of the father and one from the mother's direct line. In my ancestor's case they have DNA from the father's line but so far we've drawn a blank on the female side. The annoying thing is he had five sisters but none of then married. Someone else will probably give you a much better explanation than me. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks Moira

This DNA subject does confuse me - especially when they do it for genealogy purposes!!!!

I did gather from the letter that they preferred DNA from the male line but I don't think there is anyone unless this brother had sons. The deceased soldier was unmarried so no direct line from him.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                X