WW1 Record of deaths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 Record of deaths

Can anyone help with this. I'm looking for records of a John Lusk, I have his victory medal on it apart from his name are: pte, A & S H (which I assume is Argyle & Sutherland Highlanders) and the number 3504. I have been told his name is on the war memorial in Dumbarton.
    Two points 1. How can he have a victory medal and be on the memorial?
    2. I can't find him in the CWGC site.

Thanks.

Hi, on The Great War Forum is a area for queries about memorials, and CWGC stuff, I would be inclined to put up a query there.....good luck..

Comment

Medal entitlement is the same whether a person died or survived the war. As for the war memorial, some commemorate all those who served, as well as those who died. Can you check the wording on the memorial?

Otherwise there are several possibilities: his name is spelt differently on CWGC or recorded under a different initial; he died outwith the qualifying dates for CWGC commemoration, but was still included on the local memorial; or he was missed by CWGC (this is not uncommon with men who died after being discharged).

Comment

Thanks to both of you. Will give both suggestions a go.

Comment

His medal card's on Ancestry.

He had two service numbers:

- 203445 (Suffolk Reg 1st Res Gn Bn)

- 3504 (Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders)

He enlisted on 29/4/1915 and was discharged on 24/10/1918 with tuberculosis, not killed in action.
          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 09-09-09, 12:53.

Comment

There ought to be a pension record for him on Ancestry, but I can't find one. Maybe he died before applying for a pension.

Have you checked ScotlandsPeople for deaths in or shortly after 1918?

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
              There ought to be a pension record for him on Ancestry, but I can't find one. Maybe he died before applying for a pension.

Have you checked ScotlandsPeople for deaths in or shortly after 1918?
              Just did, died Dumbarton 28th November 1918.:D
              Thanks, why did I not think of that.:o

Comment

The "pension" records aren't actually pension records as such, they're just normal service records. They are a batch of assorted records that happened to be at the Ministry of Pensions when the rest were damaged or destroyed in an air raid. So unfortunately it looks as though his record hasn't survived.

The date of death is important, as if he died on or before 31 Aug 1921 he would qualify for CWGC commemoration if the cause of death is attributable to war service. TB contracted in the trenches is likely to qualify him, but you would need to get the death cert. As Barbara said, you can get more advice on the Great War Forum, as there are people working on this kind of case, they call it the "In From The Cold" project.

Comment

Thanks for the info about that project, I wasn't aware of it. I've just sent them my grandma's brother's details.

Comment

Bearger,

I see you're in Dumbarten, same place as the death. It would definitely be worth looking at local newspaper archives for him.

I found lots of info about WW1 soldiers in the local Cambridge newspapers, often with photos. Two of the men I researched are buried in my local churchyard, the paper had a report about their funerals( with info on familes), also about when one was wounded. It also gave reports about men who'd come home on leave, or men who'd just joined up. If you've got his date of death it would be easy to search the newspapers. Don't forget there was alot of Spanish 'flu at that time, it probably didn't help his TB.
                    ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Originally posted by Meridian Line View Post
                      Bearger,

I see you're in Dumbarten, same place as the death. It would definitely be worth looking at local newspaper archives for him.

I found lots of info about WW1 soldiers in the local Cambridge newspapers, often with photos. Two of the men I researched are buried in my local churchyard, the paper had a report about their funerals( with info on familes), also about when one was wounded. It also gave reports about men who'd come home on leave, or men who'd just joined up. If you've got his date of death it would be easy to search the newspapers. Don't forget there was alot of Spanish 'flu at that time, it probably didn't help his TB.
                      Thanks M L
                      I will give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                      X