Missing Death Entry 1908 -1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Death Entry 1908 -1911

I am looking for proof of a death for Charles Leonard M Dorrington - Born June 1908 in Bristol.

He is not shown in the 1911 census.

Also, A second Charles was born in 1914

Also, we have verbal family information that one of the parents children did die young.

So he must have died between June 08 and Mar 11 (Bristol) but I can not find an entry for him in the death index.

As a double check I looked at the 1911 census to see if he was living elsewhere - but no joy, which added further weight to the idea he died young.

Any thoughts on what I can do next to confirm the death.

It looks like Charles lived to an old age. Perhaps he is in the 1911 census under one of his other names, either Leonard of whatever the M stood for.

Name: Charles Leonard M Dorrington
    Birth: 3 Mar 1908
    Death: Sep 1996 - Bristol, Gloucestershire

Comment

It looks like Charles is in the 1911 census as Charlie. What were his parents' names?

Comment

Looks like he married too

Marriages Mar 1932

Charles L M Dorrington married Violet Smith Bristol 6a 345
        Jess

Comment

The parents names were Elizabeth & Herbert

Comment

the 1911 census for charlie is not him - it says 3 years old - but he is 3 months old when you go into the records.

Comment

Hi - are you sure that it was Charles Leonard M that died, and not another child?

Comment

The 1911 census page for Herbert and Elizabeth should state how many children born and how many still alive. Do you have this info, and if so what does it say?

Comment

Are you sure that Charles Leonard was a son of Herbert and Elizabeth?

The reson I ask is that on the 1911 census, Herbert and Elizabeth have 3 children - Elizabeth (4), Ellen (2) and Herbert John (1). On FreeBMD there are these Dorrington births in Bristol:

Births Mar 1907
                  DORRINGTON Elizabeth Bristol 6a 70

Births Jun 1908
                  Dorrington Charles Leonard M Bristol 6a 94

Births Dec 1908
                  DORRINGTON Ellen Bristol 6a 74

Births Mar 1910
                  DORRINGTON Herbert John Bristol 6a 35

Therefore, Ellen was registered just two quarters after Charles, i.e. not long enough gap between them. Therefore I'd say that Charles was not a son of Herbert & Elizabeth. The fact that they then went on to name a later son Charles, in 1914 (when we know that the 1st Charles was still alive at the time, see above posts) seems to confirm this!

Richard
                  Last edited by Richard in Perth; 09-09-09, 01:48.

Comment

Richard, that death reg for Charles Leonard M that Jane found gave a birthdate of 3 March 1908 so his birth was registered a few weeks after. Even so, and even if Elllen was born right at the end of December, I agree the gap between them is very short.
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Too short - Ellen must have been born by 31-December 1908 at the very latest, which would make less than 4 weeks between Charles's birth and Ellen's conception! I don't know if that's medically possible or not, but it seems very unlikely. And given that the Charles born in 1914 is definitely a child of Herbert & Elizabeth (her maiden name is shown in the index by then, which confirms this) and since we know that the 1908 Charles was alive at the time (as we have his marriage in 1932 and death in 1996) then it also seems very unlikely that they would give two extant children the same name!

Comment

Hi - Richard is correct - the 1911 census info will tell the total number of children born......in my case, I found that one set of ggp's had three children that didn't survive....and nobody knew about it. I also found another child that was born in 1911 to another lot of ggp's and found his burial for the same year.

Comment

it doesnt look like the parents are herbert and elizabeth, because of the child born later. however, it is possible to get pregnant right after giving birth. my mother had me, and didnt have a period, she went to the doctor, and he was stunned, to say that she was pregnant.

Comment

Working...
                          X