tea merchants blender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tea merchants blender

what would a tea merchants blender have done in 1926? it was the occupation given for my 2nd great grandfather on his death certificate.
    i would think he ran some sort of tea shop, but i dont think that's right. any ideas?

Wouldn't he have blended different types of tea leaf together to find a new taste?
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

The tea you drink is rarely a single leaf-type. People are trained to distinguish all the subtle differences in flavour, and work out how best to blend them into something that customers will want to buy... just think how you prefer one tea brand to another - and whether it tastes the same in different counties, where the water has gone through different ground to make it hard/soft.

It is, in the context of tea, the same as any of the blending jobs - wine, whisky, coffee, perfume...

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's a little bit about blending here, shame you are too far a way to visit, it's a fascinating little museum

The Bramah Museum of Tea & Coffee - Tea History

Comment

thank you for the thoughts. i think thats what he did, but would it have been all? would he have worked in a tea room or possibly owned one?

Comment

kylejustin

No, it is a proper full time job and a very skilled one too. He wouldn't have done anything else except blend tea and taste the results.

OC

Comment

ah, thank you oc. i thought it was interesting. a quick career move. he was a watchouseman in 1920.

Comment

Scoop, slurp, spit, scoop, slurp, spit - all day long!
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

is a watchman and a watchouseman the same thing?

Comment

Are you sure he wasn't a warehouseman?

OC

Comment

its very bad chicken scratch, but im sure it says wachouseman.

Comment

Back then, I would imagine every grocer would have had SOME blends of their own as most things were sold loose anyway. There were probably speciality shops too, that dealt in tea. Even I remember sugar and tea poured into little blue bags and butter being cut into pats - just like cheese nowadays. Not to mention buying nails and screws by weight instead of in little plastic bags!

Comment

I've got a number of grocers & tea dealers (all done from under the same business) bur none employed a tea blender, so I'm sure yours would have been for a tea warehouse/merchant. Whereabouts was he working?

Comment

he was in leeds, must have been for a tea merchant. when i saw it, i thought he was a tea merchant that invented his own tea. most of my ancestors talked about themselves in the third person on certs! but if he just worked for a tea merchant, i think i get it.

Comment

Working...
                            X