WWI service record ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWI service record ancestry

can someone please see if there is a john henry morton, b.1896 on there?
    he was in the
    Yorkshire Regiment, Railway Operating Division, Royal Engineers, Second Lieutenant.
    according to his medal card. he should have been in leeds.

The records on Ancestry are only for "other ranks" Officers files are at the NA - his looks to be

WO 339/30180 MORTON J H, 2/Lieut 1914-1921

They are not digitised - but you can request an estimate of cost to have it done so you can download it

Yell out if you are not familiar with the NA site and need help finding it

Cheers
    Sue

Comment

ooh! thank you sue, ill have a look!

Comment

i cant seem to find out how i can get an estimate. can any one help?

Comment

This is the document that Sue found for you
          National Archives

Towards the top right you will see a button which says REQUEST THIS
          Click on that and it will take you through the stages of requesting an estimate.

Shout again if you get stuck!
          Elaine

Comment

thanx elaine, i got myself in a loophole, because i didnt scroll down on a crucial page! i will now wait for the estimate!

Comment

Would a Lance-Serjeant in the Grenadier Guards be an officer or an OR. I am trying to find the records of W C Hiles service No 11185 died 26/10/1914. All I have found is his medal card.

Linda
              Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Hi Linda

He would have been "other ranks" - but you could be in luck as the prestigious "Guards" Regiments kept their own records - this advice comes from the well respected Long Long Trail website - The Long, Long Trail

The Guards regiments maintained a separate set of records and these are accessible via the Archivists of those regiments, all of whom can be contacted at the respective regimental headquarters at Wellington Barracks, Birdcage Walk, London SW1E 6HQ. Some require payment for supplying a copy, others invite a donation. In all cases, you should at first write, asking for a copy of the form that the regimental archivist requires in order to carry out a search.

Are you sure about his number though - all the 'usual sources' - CWGC, Soldiers Died in the Great War and his medal card show him as 12285

Whichever number is correct, it (along with his early entry to France and early date of death) suggests he was regular army and enlisted during the period 1903 - 1906

10674 joined on 9th January 1903
                11365 joined on 1st March 1904
                11931 joined on 10th January 1905
                12811 joined on 7th August 1906

from Army Service Numbers 1881-1918: Grenadier Guards

Cheers
                Sue

Comment

Thanks Sue, of course his number is 12285 - my brain and fingers didn't connect. I'll have a look at the long long trail and see what it says. You've given me more to go on, thanks again

Linda
                  Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Working...
                  X