Irish Prisoners in Devon 1961 Census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Prisoners in Devon 1961 Census

My father said we were connected to the Irish through his mothers side of the Family - her maiden name was Farrell.

I have followed the line back and have found an 1861 census record for Thomas Farrell born 1840 in Queens Marybor, Ireland.

- Ancestry.co.uk

The record states that at age 21 he was a Prisoner at Devonport Prison.

It explains why in some of the census records he states he is from Devon while others its Ireland.

How might I find more info about why he is in the prison - it says he is in the
    something Royal Marine - what does this mean?

Also his birth place is stated as Queens Marybor, Ireland I can't find this place. In the 1901 census he has his birth place listed as Cork Ireland, can anyone help?

I would welcome any thoughts.

A couple of things to start - the record says he is a Private in the Royal Marines - and I think the birth place is either
    Queens, Co (County) Something or
    Queens Co (now Laois) followed by the town name - which I can't make out for sure

There was a town called Maryborough in Laois - http://www.igp-web.com/laois/townlands/MaryboroughT.htm

Perhaps it was just easier to say he was from Cork (less of a mouthful!)

Cheers
    Sue
    Last edited by SueNSW; 08-09-09, 07:28.

Comment

Ancestry has some criminal registers and there is this record whoch looks like your man. The proceedings were held at Devonport and some of the other names on the page are also in Devonport Prison in the 1861 census

- Ancestry.co.uk

"Thomas Farrell. Larceny from the person. Twelve calendar months hard labor"
      Jackie

Comment

Working...
      X