1851 Census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1851 Census

Can someone please have a look at the 1851 Scottish Census for William Clifford, Lanarkshire Scotland on Ancestry and tell me who is living with him, he was born aroun 1837 but it's showing as 1832 on the census. I've searched through ScotlandsPeople but can't find it and as of yet I haven't been able to convince my mum to pay for an account at ancestry.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

William Clifford - Ancestry.co.uk

1851 census, Old Monkland, lanarkshire.
    Wm Clifford is listed as b c 1832, Ireland, lodger, coalminer.
    He is living as a lodger with Robert Johnston (1811, b Ireland) and family.
    There is another lodger called Patrick Carmon b c 1819, Ireland.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

However - just to add that there is another William Clifford bc 1835, Paisley, living with his mum Janet and siblings.
      Paisley is in Renfrewshire but next to Lanarkshire - could this be your man??
      He is a shoemaker
      Last edited by herky; 07-09-09, 21:21. Reason: addition
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the first one is him, thanks very much!
        His mum was called Bridget and his father Edward who are both listed as deceased on William's wedding cert. in 1858, they were most probably dead at the time of this census too and this is why he isn't residing with them. I'm struggling to find any siblings for him or a death cert for him and both his parents. I'm almost hitting a brick wall.
        From about 1841 onwards the family have been in Lanarkshire, right up until now where I still stay. They came from Ireland.
        There is an Edward Clifford born about 1826 on ancestry who lived in Lanarkshire but was born in Ireland. I've always had a feeling that this might be William's brother but why wouldn't he be living with him aged 19 rather than strangers?!

I feel like I've given you my full life story here!

Comment

There is one death of a William Clifford on SP in Lanarkshire but b 1830, died 1861
          herky

Comment

That's not him as he was still around for the 1891 Census, thanks for taking the time to have a look anyway.

Can you please have a look at the 1881 census and tell me who is living with him?
            I really appreciate your help.

Comment

There are a few William Cliffords - nearest agewise is
              W C - bc 1838, Ireland, wife AnnJane.
              Living in Bothwell
              He is an ironstone miner.
              Wife was bc 1841, also Ireland.
              Let me kniow if this is your man and I will give the children's names etc
              herky

Comment

That's definitely him

Comment

right - good.
                  they are living at 4 Double Brick Row, Bothwell
                  The children were all born in Bothwell
                  Hugh bc 1866
                  Ellen bc 1868
                  Annie bc 1870
                  John F bc 1878 (big gap, I wonder if some children died or if hubby was away for a while??)
                  James Thomas bc 1881, only 4 months old.
                  Do you want me to look for the family in 1891 and 1901?
                  herky

Comment

Do you have the 1871? If I have the correct family then there are some additional children, however the ages on the parents are a good bit out but could be transcription errors.
                    herky

Comment

I don't want to ask too much of you but if you don't mind then that would be fantastic, can you have a look at the '71 census too? I have their census for 1891 but Thomas isn't on it, he seems a bit young to have moved out of the family home - he possibly died. This is the first time I've come across a Thomas in the family tree and Ellen Clifford is new to me too.

EDIT: Just realised it's James Thomas not Thomas.
                      Last edited by Cheryl94; 07-09-09, 22:46. Reason: realisation

Comment

Here is 1871, with I think an error on the wife's age.

Address -3 Bally Raffan Row, Bothwell
                        William Clifford bc 1841, Ireland, fronstone miner (I would think that should be ironstone)
                        Ann Clifford bc 1851, Ireland
                        William, son bc 1859, Fronstone miners assistant, b Bothwell
                        Margaret, dau, bc 1860, Bothwell
                        Mary bc 1861, dau, Bothwell
                        Hugh bc 1866, son, Bothwell
                        Helen, bc 1868, dau, Bothwell
                        Ann, bc 1870, dau, Bothwell

Please just ask if you want more.
                        herky

Comment

That's brilliant, thanky you very much herky!

That's all just now, I hope you don't mind if I ask you again in future if something else crops up. You finding Helen/Ellen has been brilliant, I had a note on her from our Parish Records but I just couldn't place her, now I have No more traces of her as far as I'm aware, same with William and Margaret.
                          I have marriages and children for the rest.

Thanks again!

Comment

Can anyone with an ancestry account please have a look at this on ancestry and tell me who is living in the house?

Edward Clifford - Ancestry.co.uk

Many thanks in advance.

Comment

Your link isn´t taking us to a particular census.

Can you give the full details for Edward and who is likely to be with.
                              Elaine

Comment

Oops..
                                It's the second one down, 1861 census with Ellen in Durham.

If it's the man I'm looking for he's likely to be with Ellen - Wife, Ellen? - Daughter and a Son - Edward. Possibly more children after the census I already have.

Comment

I´m not getting a list at all.

Have done a quick print screen so you can see what is showing for me!

cen.jpg

Hover mouse over image it will be a bit clearer.
                                  Elaine

Comment

Address 49 Bairds Square, Holytown 1851 Scotland Is this the one you want?

Edward Head aged 25 born Ireland, coalminer
                                    Ellen wife aged 32 born Ireland
                                    Edward son aged 10 born Bothwell
                                    Ellen dau aged 1 born Old Monkland
                                    Last edited by GallowayLass; 01-10-09, 19:57. Reason: add

Comment

He's with wife Ellen 28,
                                      Daughter Mary H (?Helen) 11
                                      Son Edward 10
                                      J William 7
                                      Hugh B 6
                                      John F 4

Linda
                                      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Sorry didn't say, they're at 35 Lead Gate Durham, Edward is 32 and occupation is "minner", think it should be miner. When I first saw it I thought it said Winner!

Linda
                                        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Working...
                                        X