Multiple names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple names

I have several men in my tree who are known by a variety of names and was wondering how others record these.

I have a family called "Hughes otherwise Feats" (one of whom was John Taylor otherwise Hughes otherwise Feats) 2 men who changed their names by deed poll, and another who wavered between his birth name of Harwood and his stepfather's name Chandler.

Then there is a lady whose parents decided they didn't like the Christian name on her birth cert so had her christened with a different name that she was known by for the rest of her life.

For your last example, a name given at baptism takes precedence over the registered name, and there was an act of parliament in 1953 which allowed a name given at baptism within 12 months of birth to be inserted in the register entry. http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_177246.pdf
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I use Brothers Keeper to record my data.
      I record the name in the register as the main name and add any other name in the alternate name field.

I never change names or even spelling for convenience in searching as this can distort the facts.
      Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Since 1837 there has been provision for the name given at baptism to 'overide' the name given at registration.

1836Act
        Part 14

Personally where the aka takes place after 1837 I use the baptismal name, if different to the registration, and record any others as 'also known as'....I use FTM and there is that provision.

Before 1837 the baptismal name and others as aka, but where there is no baptism I record the most used name as the main one and any others as aka.

Hope that makes sense!

Chris
        Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Thankyou all for your input, I didn't know about the baptismal name could take preference. She married under the Christian name on her birth cert but her gravestone bears her preferred name which is how we fondly remember her.

Comment

Working...
          X