1861 census help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1861 census help please

Hi, I have had some great help in finding John Bland(y) in other census' but I can't seem to 'see' him in the 1861. He was born (according to other census') anytime between 1830-1840 in Berkshire (again various places in Berkshire given on other census')! He maybe with Eliza Waite b 1835-1845, Berkshire or Kent!!
    I am still looking now but if a fresh pair of eyes could have a look at some point I would be really greatful!
    Thanks
    Tessie

Where do you think he might have been born, or claimed to be born in 1861 ? What options do you have ? I looked at 1841 and 1851, there are several John Blandys born in Berkshire, which one is he ? if you use the "old search" facility on ancestry, you can search by just forename or just surname which is sometimes useful for mistranscriptions, but you need something like a birthplace to narrow them down.

DI
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Hi, thanks for your reply! On the 1841 it is Abingdon, Berkshire, then I believe on the 1851 it is Kingston, Berkshire, the 1871 he is mis-transcribed as Brand and p.o.b is Thorley, Berkshire!
      Tessie

Comment

What were his occupuation(s) and where has he lived?

All the best

Ayse

Comment

He was a traveller/hawker and later a general labourer (1891 onwards). He lived Berkshire/Oxfordshire/Warwickshire.
          Thanks
          Tessie

Comment

1841 Clewer in Berkshire in the registration district of Windsor - Your John is 2 years old (if this is the right one) living with John 40, bricklayer, born in county; Eliza 25 born in county; he is 2 years old. Just up the page are John Blandy, bricklayer aged 70 and (wife) Mary aged 70. Could they be related? In 1851 looks as if your John (born Kingston, Berkshire) was at school on Stretton St Margarets, Wiltshire at Vicarage House.

I still can't find him in 1861 - am I barking up the wrong tree? Perhaps if he was a traveller he could have avoided being on the census.

All the best

Ayse
            Last edited by ayse; 08-09-09, 14:33. Reason: mis-spelling

Comment

I believe the one in 1851 is the right one! I do have him in 1841 born Abingdon, Berkshire. I think after all the searching he could possibly have been left off for one reason or another! Thanks for having a look!!
              Tessie

Comment

Working...
              X