Lamentation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lamentation?

I was looking for possible parents for Ann Belton born c 1761 Linconshire on the igi website. One possibility is Ann Bilton christened 19 Jul 1767 South Somercotes, Lincolnshire, father John Bilton, Mother Lamentation. What does this mean? I have never come across this before and the entry is extracted.

Sandra

I think its a first name. If you look on FreeBMD there are 6 entries with that first name and they are all in Lincolnshire
    Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
      I think its a first name. If you look on FreeBMD there are 6 entries with that first name and they are all in Lincolnshire
      I have a possible Lamentation in my family tree which I haven't confirmed yet. It is a first name and there does seem to be a few in the Lincs area. The Lamentation in my tree married a Christopher Tacey. I think they had a daughter called Lamentation who then married a John Bilton.

None of this is confirmed though.

Comment

Hi thanks for your replies. The poor girl - fancy having that as a Christian name. I wonder what thought processes were going through her parents mind when she was named!!

Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
          Hi thanks for your replies. The poor girl - fancy having that as a Christian name. I wonder what thought processes were going through her parents mind when she was named!!

Sandra
          I'm guessing not good ones. Luckily the name didn't carry on down my side of the family.

Comment

My family suffered the bibical names of Shadrach 3 generations of sons the father of the first being Meshach.

If you search nebukadnar ? it s to do with the fire and 3 people being thrown into and and coming out alive as they believe in the lord .

So my forebears were god fearing maybe .?

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post

Sandra
              Often that kind of name suggests low church (ie: methodist/baptist or similar) leanings. They went for some crazy names like 'Godbehere' and 'Praisethelord'.

ETA: Just remembered, in Thomas Hardy's 'Tess of the d'Urbervilles' - Tess baptises her little sick baby, that is clearly about to die, 'Sorrow'. It may be they used 'sad' names when they were baptising a baby that was not likely to survive? Just a thought.
              Last edited by Penelope; 07-09-09, 12:07.

Comment

I have an ancestor with the christain name of Adversity.....what were they thinking.

Comment

OH has one of the cheerful ones - Hopestill

Comment

Working...
                  X