Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Smith 1831/1832 Berkshire

Hi
    I was wondering if someone could help me. I am trying to find the birth record of Thomas Smith, and the name of his mother, who I know was a Smith. I know his father was William Elliott, as it is on his marriage certificate, and I have been told he was a base born baby. His mother was a Smith, so I am assuming, she raised him by herself.
    I know he was either born in 1831 or 1832, and that it would of most likely been in the Berkshire area. According to some of the censuses when he was married he was born in West Challows Berkshire.
    He married a Elizabeth Whitehorne.
    If anyone could help me I would be grateful!
    Thanks
    Carrie-Anne

Theres a baptism on the IGI for a Thomas Smith 23 Oct 1831 mother Elizabeth, no father in Appleton Berkshire, not sure if thats anywhere near to where your looking , none for West Callow

Hugh Wallis only goes up to 1812 for West Callow

Sylvia
    Last edited by Ozzie Gert; 07-09-09, 09:18.
    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Hi
      I can't find that one on IGI. Where abouts is it?

Comment

On Family Search i went to advanced search and then International Genealogical Index, put in his name, selected birth/christening 1830 +/- 5 years, then British Isles, England Berkshire, hes no. 27 on the next page

Sylvia
        Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham

Comment

Found it Ozzie Thanks
          How can I be sure it is the right record?

Comment

you would need to look at the original baptism register - often they named the father of baseborn children, or the mother might have obtained a bastardy order (for child support). Often these are recorded in the parish records. You should also look and see if the mother married, possibly to Elliott later - this was not uncommon either.
            Last edited by dicole; 07-09-09, 10:26.
            Diane
            Sydney Australia
            Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Hi I have I can find on all the censuses 1861 and after. But none before.
              What would be the Parish for Appleton Berkshire?
              Thanks
              Carrie-Anne

Comment

I don`t know Berkshire, so i have no idea if Appleton is anywhere near West Callow, have you looked to see if the parents married, how do you know the fathers name, some illegitmate people made up a name for a marriage cert to save face. I have one who i think did that.

Sylvia
                Sylvia

Comment

Oh I okay I didn't know that. Well all I can say is its on his marriage certificate and that it says he was a labourer.
                  I don't think they later married.

Comment

You might find if he put his real fathers name on the marriage cert, as Dicole said you need to find the original baptism registers or a bastardy bond.

Sylvia
                    Last edited by Ozzie Gert; 07-09-09, 11:06.
                    Sylvia

Comment

Okay thanks. How do I go about finding him on census records before 1861, as I am not having much luck.

Comment

I found a Thomas Smith as a servant in 1851, gives birthplace as West Challow, which is near Wantage. Appleton is near Abingdon.
                        Diane
                        Sydney Australia
                        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Could you please five me the link?
                          Thanks so much!

Comment

hello Carrie Ann. If you're in Newbury you could go to Berkshire RO and have a look at the baptism record. You can hope that the vicar 'kindly' wrote something about the putative father in the records. Don' hold your breath though lol. I had a similar hope with my James Smith born to Sarah but NBG. Mine was a bit late for bastardy bonds sadly.

Good luck - you never know, we may be related!
                            Rose

Comment

Hi Rosie
                              I have a James Smith born to a Sarah in my tree as well. Do you want to swap details and see if we have the same Smith Family?
                              Thanks
                              Carrie-Anne

Comment

I'll get back to you as it's time to do dinner, but did your sarah marry Thomas Hammond?
                                Rose

Comment

Unfortunately not!

Comment

Shame lol. It's not as if it's a common name after all
                                    Rose

Comment

Working...
                                    X