Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you find a marriage please?

Hi all!
    I can't seem to find a marriage for John Bland(y) bc. 1840 to Eliza ? bc 1845. I have tried free bmd and the IGI, without any luck. John was born in Berkshire, Eliza in Kent, but their first child was born in Wiltshire! I have tried looking under both spellings Bland and Blandy in all counties mentioned. I know that if I can't find a marriage I would need to get a birth cert. of one of the children to get Eliza's maiden name but was hoping I wouldn't need to!
    Thanks
    Tessie

Where was first child born , (place name),when , and under which spelling?
    Jess

Comment

He was born c. 1866 in Liddington, Wiltshire. I haven't got the birth from free bmd as I can't find it and this info. I have is from the 1891 as I haven't got them on the 1861, 1871 or 1881 yet!
      Sorry its not much help but I am having trouble finding them!
      Tessie

Comment

OMG, I can't seem to find any of the births at the mo, on free BMD! On the 1891 they are Bland, I don't know when they changed it from Blandy! Off for a better search to see if I can find births and them on the census' mentioned above!
        Tessie

Comment

There is a John Blandy marriage to Eliza Ann Wilson 1869 Kensington, but if so then they married after first child was born.. It seems they travelled around.

Comment

I think you might have trouble with this one because they seem to have moved around a lot.

This might be them in 1871 down as Brand (living in a tent in Oxfordshire). If it is them it looks as though there are some older children

- Ancestry.co.uk
            Jackie

Comment

I saw that but discounted it as it was after the first 2 children! However, maybe I should look for the births under Wilson maiden name just to see if there are any! I still can't see ANY births!
              Tessie

Comment

I have that in my tree, couldn't fine a birth - turns out she was illegitimate and born under her mother's maiden name but 'adopted ' and her name changed to that of her step-father.

Comment

Hi, Night Owl, John's d.o.b is out, but the children John and Oliver fit! They are living in the same area as I have them in 1881! A good call but not sure? Eliza's place of birth is wrong too!
                  Oh, I hate it when this happens!
                  Tessie

Comment

Hi Treesa, hadn't thought of that but there are more children no if the 1871 census is the right one!
                    Tessie

Comment

Have you found the older children as WIison, or any other surname to be sure. Also, I don't want to complicate matters, but Eliza may have married before. I have a situation where the main couple had both been married before, and the first wife of the main man, had also been married before. Hence lots of children, and figuring out who belonged to who.

added, also said couple didn't marry until they had had two children! Even though they could have, their previous partners being deceased.

Comment

Off for a good look!
                        Tessie

Comment

Seriously cannot find any births for the children under Bland or Blandy! Now what? I can't get a birth cert. to check if Eliza was married before and to get her maiden name! Off to look on Ancestry Trees!
                          Tessie

Comment

Right, had a look on Ancestry Trees and someone has my descendant Mary Ann Bland (daughter of John Bland(y)) as Mary Ann Waite Bland and her mother as Eliza Waite! Off for another look!
                            Tessie

Comment

Mary Ann's birth is under the surname Waite. However, I still cannot find a marriage. I suppose they never married! However, if I buy Mary Ann's birth cert. if the parents were not married would it give the fathers details? I don't even know if I have the right man in the 1841 or 1851! The Ancestry Tree Owner has him being born in 1830 so I am going to re-check those census'!
                              Tessie

Comment

I think it might be worthwhile contacting the Ancestry tree owner to see what she knows. It looks as if she has Mary´s birth certificate as she has an exact date of birth of 6 March 1881 in Henley, which means Mary should be on the 1881 census somewhere ... but I can´t find her at the moment!
                                Elaine

Comment

This is the 1881 with Bland and Waite

Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk

It looks like there are more family on the same page. It also ties in with the 1871. The enumerator has John as unmarried and Eliza Waite as "mistress" !!
                                  Jackie

Comment

Ooohhhh! So this may mean they never married then hence why the children can't be found under the name Bland(y). Need to try and find them under Waite! I still can't find John in 1861. I have them in 1891 and 1901 and then not in 1911. I have a death for John in 1901, but can't find Eliza!
                                    Thanks everyone for your help so far!
                                    Tessie
                                    Last edited by tessie31082; 06-09-09, 22:02.

Comment

I think the reason why it looked as though Eliza's birthplace was different in 1891 was because

1871 Kembury, Berkshire
                                      1881 Kimberry, Berkshire
                                      1891 Canterbury, Kent
                                      1901 Kenterberry, Berkshire

I suspect they are all the same place - there is a Kintbury or Kentbury in Berkshire
                                      Jackie

Comment

Yeah I notice in all the census' that John and Eliza's birth places are different! Where does Kent come in though lol? Well thanks to everyone for clearing up this mystery for me!
                                        Tessie

Comment

Working...
                                        X