Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MacInnes (McGinnies?)

Hi

I am searching for any information re Marion McInnes who was born we beleive in sep 1858 in South Australia.

Her father was Owen McInnes, (also known as Ewan McInnes, Hugh McInnes as we have found is common in the Gaelic way).

Ewan (or Owen) came from North Uist in Scotland and arrived in SA on the Neptune in 1853. I was wondering if there is any way of find more information re his Family in North Uist.

Hope this makes sense

Cheran
    Cheran

Does it give Ewan's age on the Neptune passenger list?

There is a Ewen Mcinnes, born and living in North Uist, on the 1851 Scottish census, and I can't see him in 1861. He was born c. 1806.

Comment

Welcome to FTF, by the way

Comment

McInnes estimated birth year

Hi Mary

On the neptine List "Ewan" is lested as 40 years old - this was 1853 so we estimate he was born in 1812 approx. This all connects ages at dates of death. His brothers is listed as Alex McInnes

On the ship Hercules, which was the original ship which left Campbelltown, Scotland (after being quarantineed in Ireland, some passengers immigrated to Adelaide on the Neptune) there is another Ewan McInnes listed from North Uist and I think his age would match the census.

Thanks for looking it up for me!

Ewan's daughter Harriet, who died in Cork left behind a widowed grandmother, Catherine McInnes so I assume that this Ewan's mother.

Thanks for looking at it for me.

Cheran
        Cheran

Comment

I've had another quick look at the 1841 and 1851 censuses, and I can't see anything obvious.

You could try Scotlandspeople to see if you can pinpoint his birth:

Genealogy Scottish family birth records census ancestry Scotland uk - ScotlandsPeople

Comment

Many thanks

Will try Scotlands People - is the best way for looking scottish ancestry?

Cheran
            Cheran

Comment

Working...
            X