Trying to see which George Bailey is mine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to see which George Bailey is mine

Can anyone help me - I am slowly going mad.
    In the 1871 census I have George Bailey age 32 Born Newbury, Berkshire
    His wife is Cecilia age 32 born St Pauls Middlesex
    Children:- Sarah 9: Mary 6: George 2
    In 1881 The family are still together except for Sarah (who I assume has left home) and John has appeared age 8. The wife is now called Fanny!! and she was born in Windsor!!
    I have the birth certificates of George and John - George was born in Holborn in 1869 and John was born in Slough in Bucks.On both certs. the father is George Bailey - a tin plate worker -and mother is Cecilia Mary Ann (nee Vicars).
    So I was fairly sure that I had got the right George Baileys - my grandfather and greatgrandfather.
    However I cannot find 'my' George or Fanny in the 1891 census BUT there is a George Bailey age 51 born Newbury and a tin plate worker but his wife is Sarah born London Old Ford and none of the childrens names tie up,
    Were there 2 George Baileys born in Newbury about the same time and both tin plate workers?
    I would be pleased to have any thoughts on this.

Hi Charity

Just looking at part of it - FreeBMD has a listing for a death of a Cecilia Bailey aged 36 in Eton in Mar 1875 (3a 387). The same quarter is another Cecilia aged 0 so 'your' Cecilia could have died in child birth.

Off to look for a marriage to Fanny now!
    :D Charney Jo

Comment

Do you know when Cecilia died? Maybe it was after John was born and George Snr. then went on to marry Fanny? Slough and Windsor are very close to each other. As for the two George Bailey's of the same age and profession in Newbury, well that's a bit too much of a coincidence! Maybe he married for a third time to Sarah!
      Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

In 1878 George Bailey married Fanny Osborn (Jun 1878, Eton, 3a 648) ...

Comment

I wonder if Cecilia died and George remarried.

There is a death registration for Cecilia Bailey aged 36 - Mar 1875 Eton 3a, 387
          Elaine

Comment

There is a marriage to possibly Sarah Nelson Richardson in Jun 1884 (Windsor, 2c 789). Can't find a death for Fanny though ...

Comment

Charity

I think the children not matching up could be down to the fact that in 1881 they were 16,12 and 8. In 1891, with Sarah, he has 3 children who are 18, 13 and 8. Could the first lot have left home and the second lot be hers who have taken his name? Just a possibility ...

Comment

That's what I was thinking, Charney Jo.
                Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Wow. Have just had a quick peek to see if anybody has had a look at my query and find that people are coming up with answers.
                  Thank you all so much.
                  Have packed OH off to cricket so can spend today looking at 'my' Baileys.
                  Thank you for your help.

Comment

Have sent for Cecilia's death certificate. In the meantime I have been trying to
                    find her in the 1861 census but with no luck. I have her marriage certificate - she married George Bailey in 1865 at St John's, Waterloo, Surrey. The certificate states that her father was William Vickers a compositor. Her age is 'full'.
                    I have traced her in the 1871 census where it states that she was born St Pauls
                    Middlesex.
                    However I cannot find her in the 1861 census - have tried 'Vickers' and 'Vicars'.
                    Where is St Pauls Middlesex - are they referring to an area around
                    the Cathedral?
                    I cannot find her father either.
                    I would be thankful for any help or advice that anyone could give me.

Comment

I have found this : 1861:

- Ancestry.co.uk

a Mary A Vickers is living with her grandparents in mdx
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

The church could be Shadwell St Pauls, Stephney (found in Genuki). Is it possible that Cecilia was older than she says? I have found a Cecilia/Celia Vickers born 1832/1833 in the 1841 and 1851 census'. I still can't find her in the 1861 census.

Ayse

Comment

Thanks for the ongoing help.

I have looked at the 1841 census HO107 Piece 673 Book 3 Folio 18 Page 29
                          This shows a Celia Vickers age 9. living in Shorts Gardens. There seem to be a lot of people living there - I cannot work out if they are individual households - I would have expected to see Celia and her family listed together but there seems to be a Sarah Vickers age 40 a few lines up and a John Vickers aged 14 a bit further up the page.

On the 1851 census Cecilia is shown as 18 working as a servant. HO107 Piece 1479 Folio 681 Page 14 - however I cannot read her birthplace.

The 1861 census shows a Mary Ann Vickers living with her grandparents - not sure if she is 'mine' because there is also an unmarried daughter living there and I am wondering if Mary Ann is her child.

Sorry if this all seems a bit muddled!!
                          None of this seems to really prove that this is my Cecilia Mary Ann Vickers (Vicars) as The only fact I have is from her Marriage cert which states that her father was William a compositer and the 1871 census which says that she is 32 and born in St Pauls Middlesex. I haven't found a birth for her and if she was older than she says then this could be a problem.

All ideas, thoughts and anything else would be appreciated.
                          Many thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X