X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Ancestry

I have been given the following to check out on the 1961 census

Class: RG9; Piece: 1713; Folio: 70; Page: 29;

The problem is I use Ancestry.co.uk and I can't see a way of putting this data in.

Also I was advised the marriage info would state the father's names of the bride and groom, but I can't seem to locate this either for any of my searches. Searches just bring up the index data.

What am I doing wrong?

hi Oliver

you need to be using 'the old search' which you have to click on the pinky bar that goes acorss the top of the screen.

once you are on there you need to search for the 1861 census, it will then give you this page:

1861 England Census - Ancestry.co.uk

this then allows you to add the census ref that you have quoted, it should then take you to the page you need. (however the 'new search' doesnt seem to allow you to search by census ref!!)

hope this helps :smilee:
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Oliveriles

There is no way you can see the content of any certificate without buying it, unfortunately.

All that is ever online is the INDEX, and that allows you to order the certificate you require.

OC

Comment

thanks worked it out you can get the father's names of the bride and groom for some marriages on Ancestry if you have an upgraded subscription.

Comment

Really? What database is that covered by?

OC

Comment

England & Wales Marriages, 1538-1940

It does not cover all counties yet.

Comment

England & Wales Marriages, 1538-1940
              They are taken from the BIVRI (British Isle Vital REcord Index) which has been produced by the Church of the Latter Day Saints. Coverage is very limited - don´t hold your breath expecting updates!

You will also find a similar database for christenings. I´ll find the link for you.
              Elaine

Comment

I was searching that database earlier today, but didn't find that info. How would I go about that? I have a Worldwide sub.
                Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post

You will also find a similar database for christenings. I´ll find the link for you.
                  England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906
                  England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906
                  Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by lorry53 View Post
                    I was searching that database earlier today, but didn't find that info. How would I go about that? I have a Worldwide sub.
                    What were you looking for? When you say you didn´t find that info, what info do you mean.
                    Elaine

Comment

What were you looking for? When you say you didn´t find that info, what info do you mean.
                      oliveriles said that you could find the names of the bride's and groom's father. I found two possible records for a marriage I'd been looking for and have ordered a certificate from the National Archives. You can bet I've ordered the wrong one. LOL!
                      Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Sorry I am confused now! What sort of certificate have you ordered from the National ARchives - or do you mean the General Register Office?
                        Elaine

Comment

Sorry I am confused now! What sort of certificate have you ordered from the National ARchives - or do you mean the General Register Office?
                          Oops, sorry, I was at the National Archives site when I posted and typed that instead of the GRO. I ordered a marriage certificate.

Comment

For some of the records on the Marriage database (taken from the BIVRI) you do get the names of parents but I don´t think it is available on all of them.

I certainly wouldn´t use just that database if I was looking for a marriage as the coverage is extremely limited.
                            Elaine

Comment

Thankyou Elaine, I was horrified to think I'd been missing something!

SOME birth registrations give mother's maiden names in the index, if you use the UKBMD site. Lancashire is particularly good at giving mother's maiden name for births. But, generally speaking, you have to buy a certificate to see the mother's full maiden name, and of course, the father's full name.

OC

Comment

when you've found the marriage you want, click on "view record" to see the fathers' names (but many haven't been transcribed).

Comment

Ah, thanks. I guess I've just never found a record that showed the names. How useful would that be!

Comment

Working...
                                  X