March, Cambs. Seeking greengrocers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March, Cambs. Seeking greengrocers

Can anyone help to track down the name of the owner’s of a greengrocer’s shop in March, Cambridgeshire back in 1939/1940? The fruit and vegetable shop was located by the bridge at Elwyn Road and High Street, near the Market Square. I know that later it became known as Covent Garden Stores, and some of the names that have been suggested to me are Whitehouse, Middleton, Kime, and Thompson. All of those did own it at one time or another, but it’s the year 1939/40 that I’m trying to track down. And, in relation to it, the name of any people who supplied the shop – which is probably a long shot. Many thanks to anyone able to help.

Kithra
    Kithra

Perhaps you could contact Cambridgeshire Archives and see if they can help? They should have Kelly's directories for the time you want.

Or contact the local library March Library
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

If you have Ancestry, you could try looking at the phone books for that year under those names.

Not all that many people had phones then, but I would think a shop might have had one.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I did try the March Museum, who were unable to help, so now I'll try the March library, and the Cambridge Archives.

I'm afraid that I can't afford the subscription to Ancestry, and I've already exhausted the 14 day free trail.

Kithra
        Kithra

Comment

kithra I do have Ancestry. Pm the name and date(s) and I'll look for you.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
          X