Disappeared off the Face of the Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappeared off the Face of the Earth

OK, Dobson Dodds born Cramlington Northumberland 1860, son of Matthew and Jane (nee Pickering) Dodds. Shown on the 1881 Census living with his parents in Monkwearmouth, Sunderland.

15th October 1883 he is sentenced at Durham Crown Court for 9 months hard labour. During the December quarter of 1886 he married Ann Carman (b. 1861)

The 1891 Census shows Dobson living at 9 South Durham Street, Bishopwearmouth. He is working as a gardener and has a lodger John Moore (aged 19 a coachman - groom). He is shown as married but Ann is not living there. She is living with her mother at a different address in Monkwearmouth.

After that, nothing, zilch. No sign on 1901 or 1911 Census. Tried limited research on army records, no result.

With a name like Dobson Dodds, you would think he would be easy to find.

Can anyone please break down this three year old brick wall.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Hi Linda,
    I am looking but no joy so far - as you say it should be easy with his name.
    Perhaps he changed it. I will keep looking.
    Good luck.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Do you think he could have gone abroad there is a D.Dodds that went to Australia but I do not have overseas membership to look to see if it's your man. Perhaps someone else can look for you
      Like you I've looked and cannot see him or find a death for him yet.
      GWEN

Comment

Hi the D Dodds on New South Wales listings was b c 1861 with the place of origin listed as N CONTYNE, he was one of the crew - a ? trimmer.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Probably coal trimmer - they broke up the big lumps of coal so they would fit in the boilers.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi everyone. This might be a red herring - a William Dobson Dodds shows on the 1911 UK Census, born 1891, aged 20, and living in district of Durham and Durham! Talk about all the D's! I don't subscribe to get more info. If the age is accurate, I know he's the wrong one, but could he be connected?

Comment

Hello and good morning Herky, Gwen, Uncle John and Naomiatt.

Many thanks for responding. I too wondered if he had changed his name and gone abroad. Another thought I had - was he back in prison? I have membership of Ancestry but cant find a way into finding Durham Jail on the 1901 Census.

Another thought - was he in an asylum. Not certain where the asylum for Sunderland/Durham was back in 1901. In later years it was at Ryhope. I believe they only listed the inmates of asylum by initials.

Herky - interpretation of place of origin of D.Dodds Australia could be Newcastle upon Tyne. This might be a possibility. Do we know when he landed in Australia. That not an area of research I've done much with.

Thanks Uncle John. You learn something every day. Must have been back breaking work. Bit like hard labour in a prison really. So he would be used to that.

Many thanks for that one naomiatt but William Dobson Dodds was on another branch. But it was kind of you to find him.

Kind regards - Linda
              Last edited by Linda from Murton; 05-09-09, 09:35.
              Linda - Happy Hunting

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Hi Linda,
                I have just had another look at that passenger listing and here is more detail-
                Firstly from the index -
                D Dodds
                bc 1861
                Port of departure - LYI
                Port of arrival - SYDNEY, New South Wales
                Voyage date - 1899
                Vessell -

Now on looking at the original it doesn't look like a D Dodds, not sure of the 1st name initial.
                Also it could be N C ontyne.
                and to add to more confusion (sorry) the port of departure could well be FIJI not LYI
                I will pm you with more.
                All the best
                herky

Comment

Many thanks for your help herky. Looks as though this Dodds is a no goer.

Looks like a trip to Durham Records Office to check out the Quarter Sessions after 1892 to see if he went back to Jail.

Does anyone please have knowledge of Asylum in Sunderland or Durham at the turn of the century. Thank you.
                  Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Found out that Cherry Knowle - the asylum for Sunderland was completed in 1896. Its now a sad derelict shell. I only live about five miles from it and didnt know it was closed. Now to see if I can find records or the 1901 Census.
                    Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Update - Found Durham Gaol on the 1901 Census - RG13/4679. 18 pages of staff and inmates. He is not there. And he wasnt in Cherry Knowle Asylum
                      Last edited by Linda from Murton; 05-09-09, 15:03.
                      Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Have put this one down for now. Thank you everyone for your kind help and assistance.

Linda
                        Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Working...
                        X